CoolAirVw has been busy

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Who the hell drilled that hole in the vacuum reservoir (which in this engine is incorporated into the valve cover)??

There's no chance it has been plugged with something out from factory; neither it does look like accidental crack

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Why does it matter? If the hole isn't factory, maybe it was drilled to demonstrate the diagnostic results you would get if the CCV diaphragm or reservoir leaked.

The important thing the video conveyed was the correct diagnostic procedure for the problem as presented.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
The cover is the vacuum reservoir? Sheesh, I would've been tempted to try plugging the hole first. A small truss head bolt with a nut and washer and a dab of sealant.
My $.02,
R*2 <----- known to be frugal, {;o)

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My bet is that you won't be able to plug that hole as it won't be on the other side of the valve cover ;) So that you won't be able to install the nut and washer

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I guess I'll use smaller words next time................

Top notch video Richard. Even though I have a good idea on how the boost is controlled, your video really ties the the problem, component locations and diagnostic methodology all together.

Translation: When your turbo ain't boosting right, your movie really helps a feller get Er done.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Who the hell drilled that hole in the vacuum reservoir (which in this engine is incorporated into the valve cover)??
When I made the video I assumed there was a CCV diapharm similar to gasser valve covers, and the hole was a vent hole which would be necessary for a CCV diaphram. I did notice the new valve cover and another valve cover on a customers car didn't have the hole but I assumed it had been updated.

Based on what Henrick said, I dug the valve cover out of the trash and noticed someone had removed the top cover of the "vacuum canister" section of the valve cover, and glued it back on. I pried off the top and I could tell from the inside that the hole had been drilled!

Pics to follow!

Last edited:

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
I guess I'll use smaller words next time................
Top notch video Richard. Even though I have a good idea on how the boost is controlled, your video really ties the the problem, component locations and diagnostic methodology all together.
Translation: When your turbo ain't boosting right, your movie really helps a feller get Er done.
thanks.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
So here is the glue that I never noticed till I pulled it out of the trash after Henrick pointed out that that section of the valve cover was the vacuum reservoir.

I pried up the top of the reservoir.

Here's some glue where someone had glued it on.

And of course from the other side it was obvious the hole had been drilled.

I have no idea why someone would do this.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That reservoir isn't connected with crankcase in any way, right?
If you pull vaccum there, it should hold steady and if you build pressure in that reservoir, it should NOT escape via CCV, right?

I recall seeing a car which has turbo actuator not holding vacuum issue (for sure). However, I recall blowing air into that reservoir and it was escaping through CCV.... I bet that car had 2 separate problems..

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
The cover is the vacuum reservoir? Sheesh, I would've been tempted to try plugging the hole first. A small truss head bolt with a nut and washer and a dab of sealant.
My $.02,
R*2 <----- known to be frugal, {;o)
In hindsight that was probably a good option. Or a separate vacuum reservoir, like maybe one from a ALH.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Could you expand some on how the CCV system functions? It might help explain what the person was trying to accomplish by drilling the hole. :confused:

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Might not be the best to answer this as I'm a transmission mechanic. That's my usual excuse when I don't know what I'm talking about. All I know is there is a swirl chamber to prevent as much oil as possible going into the intake track. There is also a Crankcase vent "heater" to heat or burn any oil mist that does come out.

I dont know why they would drill the hole in there. Nor do I know why they would bust the top off and glue it back on.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Richard,

Thanks for the hindsight. In view of your autopsy, clearly the cover needed replacement for a long lasting fix. Still, being no mechanic,
I would've been tempted to take a piece of chopstick, cylindrical and gently tapered, and a dab of hot glue or the like, and plugged the hole as a quick and dirty repair. Your finger test certainly seemed to provide a remedy.

Cheers,
Richard

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
I'm removing the video to make edits to it to reflect the actual failure. I'll be sure to credit Henrick for informing me that the hose in the valve cover was for a integral vacuum reservoir, and not for a CCV.

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Very nice video on proper troubleshooting for underboost condition.
Thanks for the credits, didn't expect that I made some kind of discovery :) After the #5 post in this thread I assumed that it indeed was driled for demonstation purposes to make a vacuum leak scenario

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
it was definitely NOT drilled for demonstration. I thought it was a vent for a CCV diaphragm like gassers. I knew that tdi's had "swirl chambers " in the ccv system as I have read the SST, but of course didn't remember it at the moment I most needed to and had to eat some crow. That's life though. And that's the beauty of this forum, the sharing of knowledge.