2013 Beetle Intermittent crank but no start

Bdf912

TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
Although I have a desk job now, I started out life a diesel mechanic in the Army and then as a general mechanic for several years and this problem has me baffled. We recently purchased a used 2013 Beetle TDI convertible with 78k miles and soon after we bought it we began to experience the no start problems which have occurred about six times, almost always after a short drive of about five miles or so. The most recent was when I drove about two miles to fill the tank and on trying to restart I observed the following:
1) The engine cranks easily but will not fire
2) there is no smoke, or even puffing of smoke coming from the tailpipe
3) the glow plug indicator comes on and stays on
4) the daytime headlights stay on, even with the key fob nowhere near the car
5) if the battery is allowed to completely drain, the car will start once the battery is recharged fully.
The first several times this has happened, the car was towed to the dealer, who left it parked outside overnight with the lights on. The next morning they recharged the battery and it started right up. They have literally no idea what’s wrong. The last time this happened I borrowed a wrench from a guy and disconnected the negative battery cable. Of course the lights immediately went out, I heard some relays click, and when I reconnected the battery, the car started right up.
This makes me think I have some sort of fuel shutoff relay that is sticking and not allowing fuel to the pump. But of course we can’t duplicate the problem so randomly changing relays won’t really tell me anything. I have tried to locate the correct wiring diagram but have not been able to find one.
Has anyone experienced this intermittent no start issue and what was done to fix it. I bought a new relay from the dealer that is supposed to be the fuel relay, but there are several of that relay in both panels. They and I have no idea which one is faulty if any so it’s pointless to randomly change relays without knowing which one is which.
Thanks for any advice you might have.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Did the dealer scan the car for codes? Do you or anyone you know have access to the VCDS tool for scanning these cars? There is a list here of those that have it. I would start with a scan and see what shows up. Even if the dealer told you nothing showed up, I would do my own just in case.

Bdf912

TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
Thank you - Yes they scanned the codes and showed them to me and the first time there were several, the second time only a couple and they related to the dead battery. They claimed that none of the codes were related to the crank but no start issue. I am out of town now, but I think I ended up buying a relay (109???), but the dealer couldn't tell me which of the several 109 relay is for the fuel shutoff valve. I'm betting that is the problem, but ...