11mm pump and injectors on a manual

peteguenther

TDI
2003 Jetta
So I have an 03 ALH TDI manual trans and I plan to put an 11 mm pump on it. I’m considering switching to the injectors that go with that pump. I realize i would be reducing nozzle size and fuel flow and losing hp but anyone know if i might gain mpg and reduce emissions?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Why don't you put the 11mm pump on, but keep your manual injector nozzles ? You will get a modest boost in power.

When I did my 5 speed manual conversion, I basically had what you want - and the car was just fine.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

I just did an 11 mm pump on mine but with dlc 520 injectors and over the last 5000 miles i have not had 1 tank below 50 mpg ... power is better too but i normally drive regularly...

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've been running an 11mm pump in my manual Jetta forever. Works great. I prefer the way it responds to the accelerator compared to the 10mm.

peteguenther

TDI
2003 Jetta
OK thanks for the input. I definitely plan to put the 11mm pump in -probably re seal it first. But back to nozzles. I'm noticing a decline in my mpg ( from high 40s to high 30s ) and a noticeable though brief fuel cloud on cold starts. I'll run some purge through but I'm wondering if any of you have tried any of the cheap ebay nozzles? I'm sure it's not a long term solution and not at all the same as having Kerma or some one do it right but it might get me by and boost mpgs. My timing's good, intake clear, turbo ok no code and running really well otherwise. Any thoughts?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Part of the economy drop is the changeover to winter D2, plus the colder temps uses some more fuel until the engine warms up.

peteguenther

TDI
2003 Jetta
Right, and it's cold here. Can I check the cold start system to be sure it's functioning properly and registering the actual temps?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
white smoke on start is just the combustion chamber being way too cold
it's totally normal and has been a 'feature' of diesels for like a hundred years now

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I'm wondering if any of you have tried any of the cheap eBay nozzles?
One of the great things about the TDI Club is that practically every dumb mistake has been thoroughly debriefed, so the rest of us don't have to make them.

Buying cheap eBay nozzles would be a mistake, especially when there are some really excellent ones available that will last you for the life of your ALH engine, and then you can swap them into your next ALH.

durbo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 260k........ 2000 golf 2 door 100k.
Sprint 520’s are still available, and a very inexpensive upgrade. I’ve run dlc520’s, and 1019’s on different cars. I like the 1019’s better, but it’s hard to beat the price of the sprint 520’s. I wouldn’t hesitate to run them.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just be aware you will smoke like a train at higher RPM, especially when you combine these with a tune. I had my tune (RC2) tailored so daily driver RPM it doesn't smoke much, but once I hit 3500-4000 RPM the smoke (and power) really pickup, pulling power until 5000 RPM (and beyond - I don't usually run it that hard).

durbo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 260k........ 2000 golf 2 door 100k.
Just be aware you will smoke like a train at higher RPM, especially when you combine these with a tune. I had my tune (RC2) tailored so daily driver RPM it doesn't smoke much, but once I hit 3500-4000 RPM the smoke (and power) really pickup, pulling power until 5000 RPM (and beyond - I don't usually run it that hard).
What was your IQ set at. Smoke shouldn’t be an issue, unless you wanted it to smoke. With my current dlc1019’s and a stage 3 tune, I get a light haze at wot. If I dropped my IQ, it would smoke like a chimney, without any extra power.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have no idea, but since it smokes only on high output demand - I don't really care. I suppose if I found someone with a VCDS and knew how to adjust it, it would be nice to optimize it.

spacekup

TDI
2001 mk4 Jetta TDI
Why don't you put the 11mm pump on, but keep your manual injector nozzles ? You will get a modest boost in power.

When I did my 5 speed manual conversion, I basically had what you want - and the car was just fine.
When you did the manual conversion, you had a 11m pump and stock auto injectors on your alh? And it ran fine? I have recently bought one and it was swapped but has auto everything. And lopes like it's getting to much fuel. Got .216 on the way but was wondering what would cause it to get too much fuel with a 11 mill pump and stock AUTO injectors