vent selector disconnected

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
My 97 b4 has an issue with the vent selector on the climate control. Moving the dial from defrost through all the other settings changes nothing. It is stuck on face only...I could really use a little feet and defrost this time of year. So I looked at the back of the climate control board in the junkyard to see how it works. I am just trying to figure out the easiest way to get in there to move the cable a little. I am not too concerned this time of year with totally fixing it. Do you think I could take out some of those buttons, for the defroster, and brake light to gain access?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Does the dial turn freely, without resistance? It’s all cable driven, so something may have gotten loose. I wouldn’t be surprised if the plastic broke at the cable clip

Remove the dash fascia. It’s only a few screws, then 4 screws for the control panel.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Does the dial turn freely, without resistance? It’s all cable driven, so something may have gotten loose. I wouldn’t be surprised if the plastic broke at the cable clip

Remove the dash fascia. It’s only a few screws, then 4 screws for the control panel.

-Todd
My thoughts too, the mounting for this is on the bottom front edge of the hvac box, they are very flimsy, mine is currently broken.

It's either broken, cable got disconnected or the arm that controls the door got disconnected or broken.

Steve

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
I'll try taking the facia off, and taking the control panel off. Yes it feels like its just spinning with no resistance. I am not too worried about it being connected as long as I get a little air to the feet and the windshield through the winter.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I'll try taking the facia off, and taking the control panel off. Yes it feels like its just spinning with no resistance. I am not too worried about it being connected as long as I get a little air to the feet and the windshield through the winter.
You'll need to pull the front section of the console out, that's how far down the attachment for this cable is.

Steve

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
I am still working on this. I got the trim from around the dials off, and all four screws for the climate control unit off, but there is another plastic frame blocking it from coming out. So I will take the console out and possibly follow the frame up and take out any screws holding it in.