2005 Passat wagon

Lenny2449

TDI
Passat Tdi
Hello, first time poster! It seems as though at highway speeds, the wagon struggles to climb slight to moderate hills without down shifting. Last year this wagon would climb much bigger hills with cruise control on but bow is shifts. It also seems to not lock out on the converter. Where does a guy start to fix this?

Last edited:

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
all the "seems" etc, could be any number of things. Check engine light on? Fuel filter? Good place to start would be the fuel filter after checking it for any engine or trans codes if you have a CEL on.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Where's our resident death panel advisor?

We do need more info or you're just gonna get spitball ideas.

Im gonna say clogged air intake. Mouse nest or leaves in the little intake area.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
Lenny, here is some good advice...if you are unable to turn a wrench, understand this cars electrical circuits, have no vag-com and plan on following the advice of this forums ageing members, you are entering an expensive chapter in your life. Get rid of this dino, have it crushed, you will sleep much better

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
It could be as simple as a n75 gone bad and a dirty air filter like mine had, same symtoms.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
. Get rid of this dino, have it crushed, you will sleep much better

This is what i was looking for!

I went from finding cheap BHWs on a monthly basis to not a single one since winter. They are disappearing.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Maybe because I keep bringing them back to life. :)

Just returned a neglected 240k mile specimen back to working order and in the hands if its new happy owner last week.

Got another one here with just over 200k getting a timing belt and a couple other things.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe because I keep bringing them back to life. :)
Just returned a neglected 240k mile specimen back to working order and in the hands if its new happy owner last week.
Got another one here with just over 200k getting a timing belt and a couple other things.

Fine with me. Since they are so light, powerful, reliable, easily modded and adaptable i consider them the next 4bt for sub half ton vehicles. I would not have invested in so many if i didn't feel I'd profit well off of them in a few years.

Why would you pay a grand for a 1.9 ALH when you can get a BHW for 2 grand, you'll spend way more than that trying to mod your 1.9 to to make almost 200 hp.

200k on a bs deleted BHW is nothing.

Lenny2449

TDI
Passat Tdi
It could be as simple as a n75 gone bad and a dirty air filter like mine had, same symtoms.
Was driving it today and it’s much cooler out and no issues whatsoever. Temp related possibly? Maybe trans cooler not flowing 100%, kinked Trans line? I’ll cgeck it out and see what I can find

Last edited:

Lenny2449

TDI
Passat Tdi
Okay, my local mechanic ran a diagnostic today. I was hoping to talk face to face with him but I couldn’t get back in time. All I have is a receipt with a few codes. One says 18141 or PO1733 and the next line says 17125 or PO751. I’m not certain with the “or” means, maybe a non VW diagnostic tool? I’ll try an ask tomorrow. Seeing these codes, sounds expensive just by doing a little research.

Additional info I just got from previous owner: trans shop had it for 3 months and seemed unfrilar with VW trans. Charged $1700 complete. A noise was noticed after picking up car that sounded rotational and same speed of the motor and sound would increase after warming up fully but when cold hardly noticeable.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think you mean P1733, which is a fault in the Tiptronic switch (the part inside the car). These often get beverages spilled in them, and ruin them. It is part of a little printed circuit board in the gear selector assembly.

P0751 is a fault with the N88 solenoid, I am pretty sure it is one of the shift solenoids in the transmission. I would have to research that further. It could also be the wiring to it, either the connector at the transmission, the harness inside the transmission, or the TCM connection itself, as the TCM often gets water damage from neglected sunroof and cowl drains.