Tdi choice 2013 vs 2015

fourstar1

TDI
none yet
I am a new member. I need advice on which of the 2 TDI models, I am looking at, is the preferred model.

I have had plenty of the old VW diesel Rabbits, Jettas, and Golfs (all non turbo)

I am currently looking to purchase a Sportwagon and the 2 I have found locally are a 2013 with 20k miles and a 2015 with 28k miles. Both are automatics and have had the required updates performed by VW. Any feedback on performance, reliability, etc would be greatly appreciated.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
They pretty much drive the same for straight roads. JSW has better suspension than GSW because of DEF tank that was in the suspension design so they “degraded” the suspension which made more body roll during curves and turns. I have a 2014 JSW with stage 2 fix. I also have 2015 Passat TDI stage 1 fix. With stage 2 fix, it felt more preppy and launches quicker at first gear. 6th gear little more rpm at highway speed, its like its on 6th gear on sport mode. I did shift it into sport mode and back to Drive mode, same gear. Old JSW would show the difference of gear and rpm speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
They are pretty comparable. The JSW has better suspension and requires no DEF. The GSW has a better name and slightly better fuel efficiency. Both good cars.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
How come is 2015 a better choice?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes it is. It looks far more complex than EA189 engine. Def, double injectors design, tons more hoses on front intake manifold. I cant even make heads or tail out of that EA288 haha thats in my opinion.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Yes it is. It looks far more complex than EA189 engine. Def, double injectors design, tons more hoses on front intake manifold. I cant even make heads or tail out of that EA288 haha thats in my opinion.

It is but.....The improved EA288 version features reduced friction inside the cylinders; an oil pump with scrupulously controlled internal airflow; and a more compact head, thanks to a roller cam. To save energy, the water pump is as sensitive and variable as a peacekeeping force. And the engine’s thermal management system operates with three circuits governing cylinder head temperature, exhaust gas recirculation, and intake charge. The intercooler (integrated into the intake manifold) and the EGR unit (with its own heat exchanger) are designed for reduced pressure losses and improved responsiveness.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting thats good to know as I have 2015 Passat TDI (purchased 2 months ago with stage 1 fix) and just just got an 2014 JSW TDI stage 2 fixed 2 weeks ago. 2015 Passat with 22k miles, now 32k miles, JSW had 27k and now 28k.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is but.....The improved EA288 version features reduced friction inside the cylinders; an oil pump with scrupulously controlled internal airflow; and a more compact head, thanks to a roller cam. To save energy, the water pump is as sensitive and variable as a peacekeeping force. And the engine’s thermal management system operates with three circuits governing cylinder head temperature, exhaust gas recirculation, and intake charge. The intercooler (integrated into the intake manifold) and the EGR unit (with its own heat exchanger) are designed for reduced pressure losses and improved responsiveness.
All of the common rail tdi's have roller cams. The extra efficiency of the ea288 is a big plus. The added complexity is a big minus. Those fancy electronically shrouded water pumps are far more failure prone for instance. Thankfully the engines come with a great warranty post fix.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Interesting thats good to know as I have 2015 Passat TDI (purchased 2 months ago with stage 1 fix) and just just got an 2014 JSW TDI stage 2 fixed 2 weeks ago. 2015 Passat with 22k miles, now 32k miles, JSW had 27k and now 28k.

I didn't know that the 2014's had a 2 stage fix. I thought they only had one stage for some reason. I bought my 2014 JSW in April I think and I know it had "the fix" performed and that was that for my car.

Its cool that you have both a 2014 and a 2015 to compare. I've never driven a Passat TDI either.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Is there a definitive EA189 vs EA288 thread? I'd like to get up to speed on the differences.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I would like that too for EA189 vs EA288 thread

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Drive them both and buy the one you prefer. I find the two generations quite different, and prefer the '15 (I've owned a '12 in the past). But that's me. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Valid advice right there. I like 2009-14 TDI motor so far. I have 2015 Passat TDI. They are completely different animals. Its like comparing apple to orange.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
So in other words a total clusterf*ck . :rolleyes:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Whatever you say.....Volkswagen will be fixing mine as long as I own it.....I have also owned both and prefer the the EA 288 because I dealt with the manifold failing and the Intercooler freezing....

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
.....Volkswagen will be fixing mine as long as I own it.....

I think there is a joke about VW reliability somewhere in there. ;)

I'm no expert on the engine differences. Both options seem to offer clear pros and cons. Both have good warranties. I think in 10 years when the warranties are all dried up and many cars are running around with 250k or more on them we will have an answer on the more reliable engine.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
I read that the seats are more comfortable in the 2013. Are they that much different?

captaintofuburger

TDI
03 Golf TDI | 2014 JSW
Bump because I'm going to be buying a newer TDI soon here. I'm getting a laundry list of stuff done on my mk4 right now, I won't have a car for the next several months. My fiance has a crap box exploder, and wants to get a TDI wagon.

I'm trying to figure out which engine is going to come out ahead in the long run. I want to put 200k on this car. I'm just shy of 300k on my mk4 ALH.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I doubt there are any '15s that have hit 200K, but getting there with either engine shouldn't be a problem. Almost any modern engine, gas or diesel, will go that far.

captaintofuburger

TDI
03 Golf TDI | 2014 JSW
I doubt there are any '15s that have hit 200K, but getting there with either engine shouldn't be a problem. Almost any modern engine, gas or diesel, will go that far.
Well right now I found a nice CPO 2012 TDI Wagon for a good price. I'm going to go and look at it tomorrow. My only concern is the HPFP system, and if something were to go wrong that the dealer will service it. The dealer I'm going to I have bought several cars from in the past, and generally had a good experience (minus an "extended warranty" on a mk5 GTI that snapped a timing belt at 65k and all they were willing to do was put a new belt on, despite the damage internally)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I didn't know that the 2014's had a 2 stage fix. I thought they only had one stage for some reason. I bought my 2014 JSW in April I think and I know it had "the fix" performed and that was that for my car.

Its cool that you have both a 2014 and a 2015 to compare. I've never driven a Passat TDI either.
The 10-14 Golf, JSW, and Jetta all received (or will receive) a single fix or neutering. The 12-14 Passats with dsg received 2 fixes due to them having a urea tank and different engine set up. All 2015s received two fixes. As far as I know, the early US build Passats with a manual are still not fixable. Also the 09 cars required a slightly different fix since the exhaust system was different that year.

To the OP, I would go with the newest model and get the longest use out of the warranty. It has been posted on here, which makes it true :rolleyes:, that the 2015 GSW gets better mileage than the 2009-14 JSW.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
I'm in mourning. My 2013 tdi wagon was bought back by VW today.

I'll be looking for a 2015 for less money, with fewer miles and more options.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh I totally can relate to that. :( 2011 JSW gone to the buyback with almost 300k, bought her brand new.

My new JSW is a exact twin to the old one. White with cornsilk interior... I wish you good luck on the new one.

I'm in mourning. My 2013 tdi wagon was bought back by VW today.

I'll be looking for a 2015 for less money, with fewer miles and more options.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
we have an 11jsw and a 15 golf (non wagon), both manual, couple things, the golf has a longer wheel base, it does take def, but only seems to use about 1.5 gallons an oil change, (still trying to get a read on that, only added once so far). the '11 engine is simpler, easier and cleaner to change the oil. the '15 does get better mileage and I like the way the engine performs stock over the '11.

So couple items, you can replace the timing belt on the ea189, the 288 is a "lifetime belt" so while theoretically it will last as long as you own the car the replaceable belt will be new every 130k, cost some money, no big deal if you do your own maintenance, and realistically most people will never put more than 2 belts on the car, but if you plan on going for the 500k club you might want the replaceable belt.

the intercooler design on the 288 does not ice up, so thats real nice, but there are fixes for that. assuming you live in a lax emissions state..

lastly comes performance modifications, the 189 engine sold a .5 million copies here in the us, and enjoyed 6 years of aftermarket development, simply put if you want to modify the thing for more power or reliability the 288 simply does not have as much support as the 189, not because you cant, just the scandal cooled off the market before the usual players figure out how to mod the thing, so if you like tuned cars get the 189.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So couple items, you can replace the timing belt on the ea189, the 288 is a "lifetime belt" so while theoretically it will last as long as you own the car the replaceable belt will be new every 130k, cost some money, no big deal if you do your own maintenance, and realistically most people will never put more than 2 belts on the car, but if you plan on going for the 500k club you might ....
The timing belt interval on the ea288 tdi's is 130k miles, just as it is on the ea189 from '11 onward. This is very important for owners of the '15 tdi's to know.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
My mistake, its the oil pump drive belt that's lifetime, glad I'm not passed 130k yet!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Oil pump is driven by a chain, not a belt. That's true of all TDIs, AFAIK. It is a lifetime component, although some folks replace them at 300K miles or so. Not sure it's necessary.