Nicktane 1 micron filter?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
hey-Hey!!!
I am considering a filter upgrade, and see a bunch of folks using the Nicktane 1 micron. I look at the pix and description and see no thermostat T use, and worry about gelling( as I am in MI ). There seems to be an 'IN' and an 'OUT'...instead of the 4 the stocker has, an IN, an OUT and the return with a thermostatic T in it. I have assumed that the thermostat T helps with heating the filter to keep it from gelling.

It is available with a separator with the Donaldson filter, but the gel threat worries me.

Thoughts? Solutions?
cheers,
Douglas

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Millions of miles have been driven on mk4 fliters with no ill effects. Do with your car what you will but honestly the finer filters are a solution in search of a problem mk4s don't have.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Yep, I have the CAT filter conversion kit on the 2001. Put it on early in forum life when I ran some fuel of "questionable" source and quality. Never installed one on any of the other VE MklV TDIs and never had any IP issues. The OEM filter is fine and all the ones I've disected, even the CAT filter after many thousands of miles) have had no detectable contaminates in them.
Pump fuel, at least from my sources up here, is very clean.

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
I also have the cat filter mod. I have had no issues without the fuel thermostat. I made a few of the kits for less than $50. Rockauto sells wix 24770 filter head for $21.79 and wix 33528 filter for $8.95. Everything else you need can be purchased at the hardware store. Wix filter will fit in factory filter holder.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I'm running the Nicktane filter setup on my car and have never had an issue even in the frigid Montana cold.

You can make them too for cheap as ktm explained. I've made multiple kits over on the diesel truck side of things

MKIV's have been fine with the stock filter, but I'll disagree with drucifer on this one about solving a problem that isn't there.

You can NEVER have enough fuel filtration. It's cheap insurance. Ensure the water separation is there. It only takes one fill up at a shady station to possibly destroy the fuel system.

Yes, injectors are cheap for this car, but I come from the Cummins world where the commonrail injectors are VERY sensitive to fuel contamination that the OEM filter doesn't meet the Bosch injector (OEM) specs. It's a $3k mistake.

While maybe not necessary for the MKIV, it's peace of mind to know your fuel system is protected to a higher standard.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Thanks Krash...:) Fortunately, my Cummins came wrapped in a square truck, and with its VE is not so intolerant. I've not had an issue with that T yet, and do truly hate the idea modifying that feature of the fuel system for no reason....not that I am so fond of making a mod to the Nicktane just so I can keep it.
cheers,
Douglas

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Bare in mind, nicktane no longer has the tubing to eliminate the thermatic tee and as he told me, no ETA on when he would have them again, however, an adequate substitute can be found at autozone. The last kit I ordered, I knew that this piece would be missing. I basically wanted the filter head.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
What I had in mind was to turn and machine a fitting that would take the T into the dirty side of the Nicktane unit. I don't like the idea of no warming in the filter.
cheers,
Douglas

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I’ve installed 6 of these in the Tdi without the thermatic tee and have not had issues. It maybe it doesn’t get as cold here as in MI but it does get down into the -20 area.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Had enough issues with my vw diesel rabbits gelling first freeze of the year that I don't trust it. And if you drive to the north from the south you can have wrong fuel too. I always have the T.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
If you're that worried about gelling, you're going to have more issues with your lines gelling than what's actually in the filter. I'd be more prone to insulate the lines in a harsh climate, or running some Howes.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
The whole issue with "jelling" is no more than a myth.
Years ago when diesel fuel had a higher level of paraffin (wax) it was true. Many "over-the-road" truckers had to leave their engines idle over-night so the fuel would not jell.
Modern #2 diesel fuel has near 0% of paraffin.

The real issue is the fuel sender in the fuel tank. During extended cold snaps (-0 F) the steel check valve "ball" within the fuel sender will freeze and shut off the fuel supply to the pump.
There are two options:
A) Buy the "arctic" fuel sender (P/N 1J0-919-183-H) This fuel sender does not have a check valve in the supply side .
B) On this site there are a set of instruction on how to remove this check-valve "DIY".

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Herm, what is sticking that check valve?

What I am worried about is perhaps incorrectly called 'gel'. I am worried about the filter straining out the cold-induced solids and getting plugged.
cheers,
Douglas

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
The stock fuel filter

Herm, what is sticking that check valve?

What I am worried about is perhaps incorrectly called 'gel'. I am worried about the filter straining out the cold-induced solids and getting plugged.
cheers,
Douglas
The stock TDI filter works just fine for all environments.
Just make sure to use quality replacement filters, Mann, Bosch, OE, ect ...ect.
Use clean fuel from a known source .
Retail fuel supplies from a small local convenience store is best avoided because they tend to neglect to service their own pumps, change their filters and sample their fuel stores. Where as larger "fleet" supplies tend to have a high turnover and more likely to service their pump filters.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
The whole issue with "jelling" is no more than a myth.
Years ago when diesel fuel had a higher level of paraffin (wax) it was true. Many "over-the-road" truckers had to leave their engines idle over-night so the fuel would not jell.
Modern #2 diesel fuel has near 0% of paraffin.

The real issue is the fuel sender in the fuel tank. During extended cold snaps (-0 F) the steel check valve "ball" within the fuel sender will freeze and shut off the fuel supply to the pump.
There are two options:
A) Buy the "arctic" fuel sender (P/N 1J0-919-183-H) This fuel sender does not have a check valve in the supply side .
B) On this site there are a set of instruction on how to remove this check-valve "DIY".
I can assure you it's not just an old urban legend or forgotten myth.
Even with the check valve in the pickup tube removed many years ago it's still possible to get caught with an out of season partial "blended" tank of fuel. Especially in bio-mandated states (even if/when they are required to drastically reduce the bio percentage for winter) like MN.
I have the CAT filter setup on my 2001 with the thermo "T". I think the extra fine filtering medium is perhaps more inclined to clog up sooner when VERY cold than the OEM filter. Water is a bigger problem. It freezes at a relatively "normal" temp whereas fuel has to get considerably colder to thicken enough to cause problems. Additives that deal with water properly are your friend in cold weather if used before it makes trouble.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I was less than 10 years ago I have dealt with fuel issues in both my vw's and at the mining equipment. Has things changed -sure. But I won't be caught with my pants down with previous experiences. Vw thought it was important enough to design in. Cat thought it was important enough to design a tank heater in their designs. I will continue. Not all fuel is what it should be when filling up due to moisture or too much summer fuel left over. And not everyone drives all the diesels in the family enough to get enough summer out and winter in. And not enough #1 out there to easily find. I find it but it is 35 miles away and I shock almost all my diesels with some of the #1in the fall. I have around 15 diesels. Can't run all of those low enough to get the right fuel. L&G tractors, mower, snowmobile, trucks, cars, compact tractors Gators. Lots of diesels. Fyi the snowmobile has a kubota diesel in a 60's articat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I hate to bring this up again, but the thermo T is only going to buy you time until you can get somewhere safe to remedy the gelling. If you're in a climate that frigid, your LINES will freeze. The laws of thermodynamics apply here. You might keep the filter partially clear, but as soon as that's done, you're F'd.
Diesel 911 I used to keep in my rigs for emergency situations.
If you want to not worry, insulate your lines, buy a quality filter/ water separator, and drain it often! Choose good fuel locations. The advice above about the truckstops is on point. Diesel rarely sits in those tanks long enough to become an issue