Receiver/headunit upgrades

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Has anyone successfully upgraded the stereo in their 2015? My TDI S came with the RCD 310, which is a perfectly decent base radio. Bluetooth and steering wheel controls. I'd like a little more, such as to be able to control the tracks with the steering wheel controls, but the RCD 310 doesn't support this, nor do I think the corresponding Bluetooth module supports it. I know the RNS 315 and 510 are "plug and play", but if I need to get the compatible corresponding Bluetooth module, I'm looking at more than $250 to upgrade... if I can find a good deal on used parts from 2013. I like the stock look, and all the factory functions remain if I stick with a VW headunit. MDI is not an option as I have never been and will never be an iOS user.

That said, with aftermarket there are a lot of options, but none seem to be perfect. Either they look gawdy, clunky interface, or are very expensive ($500+), or some features are lost. Like the ability to use the factory satellite antennae, poor FM reception, lack of communication with the MFD, steering wheel volume works but track selections do not, phone buttons and push to talk, etc.

My question for the forum... has anybody made any changes, what did you do, and what has been your experience so far? The older I get the more "Stage Zero" I become. Stock appearance, stock function, maniacal maintenance and care. I just want the damn thing to work. Perhaps I'll leave the RCD 310 alone and call it good.

Last edited:

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
Check out the RCD 330. I was about to pull the trigger on one of the drop in android decks when I found out about it. I have an S with the 310 as well and I plan on upgrading and it's the best fit I've found for me.

Unfortunately, for steering wheel controls and MFD integration, it really depends on the bluetooth stack running on the deck and the phone, which is really poorly standardized. From what I've gathered, the 330 will probably allow for track skip, etc with the steering wheel controls, but the MFD in the S will probably not give you anything.

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
On a similar note, does anyone know how to swap an RCD 510 (and the 9W7 BlueTooth module) from the Passat SE into a Jetta S, replacing the RCD 310?

What will work? What won't work? - BT, steering wheel controls, MFD, etc.

The Jetta S does not have a backup camera - not sure if this can be retrofitted - is the wiring already there?

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Admittedly, I think I've probably lost interest in a factory headunit for the same reason. It doesn't look like the harness (edit) exists under the passenger seat. I'm not interested in finding a 510, bluetooth module, harness, and then still pulling up the carpet.

I'm still looking at the RCD 330, but there are issues there as well. Might end up with a Chinese Android unit. I'll report back some day.

Last edited:

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
Admittedly, I think I've probably lost interest in a factory headunit for the same reason. It doesn't look like the harness doesn't exist under the passenger seat. I'm not interested in finding a 510, bluetooth module, harness, and then still pulling up the carpet.
I'm still looking at the RCD 330, but there are issues there as well. Might end up with a Chinese Android unit. I'll report back some day.
Most of the feedback I've read on them is positive. The only common complaint is they boot up slowly so you have to wait if you want to use the backup camera right after you start the car. They are definitely 2nd on my list right now, being able to remap the steering wheel controls would be awesome since, at least with my phone, 2 of them are basically useless and lots of fun could be had mapping them to tasker in android. The deciding factor for me will be if you can listen to the aux port with phone mirroring turned on (on the 330) since I love XM and neither have it but I could run an external receiver through the aux. I haven't found an answer yet.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
My advice would be to just use the RCD 310 but don't use the garbage NAVI features. I have no clue as to why people feel the need to have an overpriced and dismally functioning NAVI incorporated into their car. Google Maps is free, real time and will run circles around anything that comes standard from the VW factory offerings for NAVI.