Fix for '12-'14 manual, 6sp, passats??!?!

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
It's not just about money . . . For us, at least, that's way down the list . . . likely for some others as well . . . The cheapskate solution is often not the best, and myself, I think there is significant value in knowing overall vehicle history as opposed to inheriting someone else's problem child . . . even if cheaper . . .
I agree with the above but one of the reason's why i'm considering replacing our 2013 6MT Passat with a 2015 is the 10 Year Warranty on 2015's.

I'm starting to look at our options (Passat or Jetta Wagon). There seems to be a good amount of 2015's with less than 50Kmiles available in Canada. I hope to know what is available in VW's bought back inventory later this week.

I'm pretty sure that I won't have walk around money after the trade though.

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
It's not just about money . . . For us, at least, that's way down the list . . . likely for some others as well . . . The cheapskate solution is often not the best, and myself, I think there is significant value in knowing overall vehicle history as opposed to inheriting someone else's problem child . . . even if cheaper . . .
Your position on this thread is clear, and you do have some valid points. Except that in this case, this isn't a trivial amount of money. I had a free car for 2 years and put $3,800 in my pocket above and beyond what I paid for it. Today, I could turn around and buy the same car with similar miles and specs for $10,000 less than the buyback price. If ~$14,000 is worth knowing the history to you, then you must make a lot more money than I do.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
How I broke it down.

Keep my 2014: No fix, no warranty, no dealer support, no restitution. You are on your own.
Sell my 2014: Buy-back amount ~$21k

Buy a 2015: Known bug-free fix for phase-1, huge extended warranty, long term support from VW, huge extended warranty after the phase-2 fix. Found one for just under ~$17k

As I don't care about tunes, DPF deletes, and stuff. So having a stock 2015 is a deal I couldn't pass up.

:)

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Your position on this thread is clear, and you do have some valid points. Except that in this case, this isn't a trivial amount of money. I had a free car for 2 years and put $3,800 in my pocket above and beyond what I paid for it. Today, I could turn around and buy the same car with similar miles and specs for $10,000 less than the buyback price. If ~$14,000 is worth knowing the history to you, then you must make a lot more money than I do.
I didn't buy the car expecting windfall profits due to a gov't poo flinging contest, and that has not changed. My car met my needs when I bought it, and that also has not changed. I'll probably take the fix and $$$, but not because I somehow feel entitled . . . but, as noted, for the warranty . . . (My wife would likely kill me, but I've actually thought about declining the $$$ . . . getting paid for not being harmed in any way just bugs me . . . ).

And yes, the variables are a bit different for the 'no fix' crowd, but most is the same . . . Can't comment on income, but values are also a factor . . .

Oh, and I think 'no dealer support' is speculative at best, and closer to fear mongering . . . . the parts on these are 99% plus common across the model, and won't suddenly evaporate due to marks on a sheet of paper . . .

Last edited:

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
There were actual laws broken, and actual financial damage done to owners on car values. Actual statutory criminal offenses. Argue the merits of the emissions, sure, but regardless of merit they are law right now. The issue is so much deeper than you make it out to be. I fully respect your decision and points, but I completely disagree and think most people would also disagree. This is evident by the fix/buyback rate observed thus far.

But to get the fix and deny the money is absolute lunacy..... ... .. .

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I didn't buy the car expecting windfall profits due to a gov't poo flinging contest, and that has not changed. My car met my needs when I bought it, and that also has not changed. I'll probably take the fix and $$$, but not because I somehow feel entitled . . . but, as noted, for the warranty . . . (My wife would likely kill me, but I've actually thought about declining the $$$ . . . getting paid for not being harmed in any way just bugs me . . . ).

And yes, the variables are a bit different for the 'no fix' crowd, but most is the same . . . Can't comment on income, but values are also a factor . . .

Oh, and I think 'no dealer support' is speculative at best, and closer to fear mongering . . . . the parts on these are 99% plus common across the model, and won't suddenly evaporate due to marks on a sheet of paper . . .
I have great morals, but I see no problem taking VW’s money for their tanking the value on my Touareg because of their misdeeds. They damaged my resale right about the time I was going to trade in my 2011 Touareg for a 2016. My trade in value went from close to $30K to “we don’t even want it” to $15K in a matter of months. They also made the 2016 unavailable, denying me of the vehicle I wished to purchase. I had to purchase an extended warranty ($2500) and keep driving my 2011 as a result. They are buying back my Touareg for $36,237 in February. I am certainly being made whole and then some, but I was damaged.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
I have no plan to sell - I run my cars full lifecycle, so the 'decreased value' argument really is a non-issue to me, so, I still feel zero damage (and exceeding arbitrary numbers on emissions still does not damage *ME*, but sure produced red butt with the EPA, but I digress . . . I've said my bit, so will let this go, but *please* don't feed me sunshine that I have been damaged when I cannot find any . . . that I cannot stay quiet about . . .

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
BKmetz, I think I'm going to do the exact same thing as you. I test drove a 2015 DSG today, and it was perfectly fine, but lacked what I really love about my 2013 MT - that incredible torque and control. Any tips for finding one? Looks like there are only 15 listed nation-wide on Autotrader right now, and many are asking totally unreasonable prices.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
BKmetz, I think I'm going to do the exact same thing as you. I test drove a 2015 DSG today, and it was perfectly fine, but lacked what I really love about my 2013 MT - that incredible torque and control. Any tips for finding one? Looks like there are only 15 listed nation-wide on Autotrader right now, and many are asking totally unreasonable prices.
I just kept searching and searching until I found the one I wanted. Back in Oct there were well over 200 2015 TDI DSGs out there and 4 2015 Passat TDI 6MT in the whole country. After many phone calls working the deal and arranging travel logistics, I was able to fly out, buy the car, and drive it back. It's all supply and demand. I pounced when there was more supply.

Good luck!

:)

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip> I had to purchase an extended warranty ($2500) and keep driving my 2011 as a result. <snip>
No one has to purchase an extended warranty; you chose to purchase an extended warranty. This, therefore, cannot count as any part of damages done to you.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
No one has to purchase an extended warranty; you chose to purchase an extended warranty. This, therefore, cannot count as any part of damages done to you.
I disagree. After purchasing a 2009 Jetta TDI and having it blow up at 75K miles (extended warranty eating $9K in repair costs) I had to purchase an extended warranty to continue driving my 2011 Touareg rather than selling it for peanuts and buying something else. The extended warranty on the Touareg picked up the lift gate motors ($1200) and several non covered DEF related repairs, far more than $2500 worth. I will not own one of these cars out of warranty.

Mike123

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manaul
VW is going to leave me hanging.

I talked with the online rep today in the portal and I think I'll be left hanging. My car is a six speed manual and I bought my own lease out during dieselgate when my lease ended. I informed the "help" person about the letter stating I would receive an upgraded claim and here was the response (basically Willie Wonka: You get nothing):

"There might've been a confusion, the letter that you are referring to states that owner who choose AEM can now select Buyback due to the fix not being available. That wouldn't apply to you due to you first leasing your vehicle and not owning it. Even though you are now a owner the Buyback still wouldn't be an option for you. Once you purchased your vehicle the fix became your only option. Since the fix won't be available, there is no other option. The adjusted Buyback offers were for those who filed as an owner when they first created the claim."

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd call the lawyers to see if they can help you out, def seems like a short end of the stick you are getting, and VW customer careless is know to have a never ending supply of short sticks at their disposal.

If anything happens I'd have to wager the EPA will force to offer buyback on all 6MT regardless of ownership as no fix is no fix, it just may not happen until EPA forces their hand.

RandomGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
September 2018, and December 2018.

You can get all the paperwork done now, just hold off with setting a date to get it done.
Just double-checking that this is still the case - went onto the website today and indicated that I'm doing the buyback but haven't uploaded docs yet (that's step 14 for those keeping score at home). Has anyone already loaded the docs up and picked a date close to December? Has VW accelerated anyone's timing who chose a later date? I'd hate to load them up and choose December and then they reschedule my appointment for some time in the summer or something like that.

On an unrelated note, just crossed 100K miles on Tuesday and debating if I'm going to do one more 10K maintenance on it or just let it ride. My default is "let it ride" (somewhere in-between 5-10K more miles on it) but if anyone thinks this is a huge risk I'm open to hearing differing opinions.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
don't do any more maintenance, no fix for them so the manuals are getting crushed anyway :(

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Or driven by those who keep them . . . Note that the auto's had zero parts changes, so should be nothing that won't still be available . . . .

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I have about 5 people I personally know via work and connections who had NMS TDI's and all but me have traded them in, sad really. I know most of them are not happy with whatever new ride they have chosen ;)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I received a lawyer mailer stating VW pulled the application for the manuals and the lawyers willing to help you out, how I'm not sure, looks like there is blood in the water and the sharks still are swimming.

Mike123

TDI
I received a call from VW legal and they left a voicemail to call them back.
I've called every day for two weeks now and no one can connect me with the person that left the voice mail. Today, I held for 3 hours. They came back on and said, sorry, we can't help you, there's nothing more until they decide what to do with your claim!

(My scenario: I leased, bought it out, 6 speed, no fix. I'm in limbo trying to decide if I should hang on and wait for them to potentially buy back, or risk a wife conversion and turn in)

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There is no "limbo". You've got until September (I'd say August) to file your claim for the buyback and you've got until end of December to set the buyback appointment. That's all there is to it. If you "hang on and wait" - you miss those deadlines - the loss is on YOU. U snooz U looz.

Mike123

TDI
There is no "limbo". You've got until September (I'd say August) to file your claim for the buyback and you've got until end of December to set the buyback appointment. That's all there is to it. If you "hang on and wait" - you miss those deadlines - the loss is on YOU. U snooz U looz.
You are incorrect with regard to original leased cars. You are not offered a buyback and since there's no MOD, you aren't offered any money and fix. Hence, Limbo.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I have about 5 people I personally know via work and connections who had NMS TDI's and all but me have traded them in, sad really. I know most of them are not happy with whatever new ride they have chosen ;)

I had a 2013 6 speed Passat and traded it in because of no fix. I now have a 2018 6 speed accord and I’m happy with everything except for the fuel economy, but there was really no way around that. I used to fill up once a week and now it’s twice a week between less fuel economy and a smaller tank, but I had to toss the car anyway as it was consuming oil and there was no known root cause for it. In the end, it was for the best.

RandomGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
Or driven by those who keep them . . . Note that the auto's had zero parts changes, so should be nothing that won't still be available . . . .
Without the ~$6.5K in restitution, it's hard to conceive of a scenario where keeping them would make sense.

FWIW, I was in the minority of people who were planning to keep when I thought a fix would be available.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Without the ~$6.5K in restitution, it's hard to conceive of a scenario where keeping them would make sense.

FWIW, I was in the minority of people who were planning to keep when I thought a fix would be available.

I was too, my friend. My engine started to consume oil which I thought was because it would regenerate too often. I was looking at getting it fixed when I got the letter about no restitution so I quickly moved on to the new Honda Accord. I’m happy with everything but the mileage, but we’re not going to get those diesel mpg that we are used to.

radtech83

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT White
I received an email 5-21-18 that Phase II for my 2015 TDI Passat is ready to be scheduled. My dealer is scheduled out into July for performing these Phase II mods.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
awesome! I'll keep a eye out. just registered my passat for phase 2 with money back from VW.

I received an email 5-21-18 that Phase II for my 2015 TDI Passat is ready to be scheduled. My dealer is scheduled out into July for performing these Phase II mods.