VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

15tdijetta

TDI
15 jetta
I was recently out of the country for work and just heard they set this feb 26 date to get rebuilt title, I got rebuilt title 2 months ago.. will they accept it
My title is dated March 1st because the DMV messed up and forgot to charge me a $2 fee and mailed me title application back. I got my denial email from VW a few weeks ago. I had a current registration on the car and was legally driving it before the Feb 26th date. I submitted my claim to CRC and they just sent me an email that it is being reviewed. My car is otherwise eligible for buyback.

Jkhalil123

TDI
golf
VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles

My title is dated March 1st because the DMV messed up and forgot to charge me a $2 fee and mailed me title application back. I got my denial email from VW a few weeks ago. I had a current registration on the car and was legally driving it before the Feb 26th date. I submitted my claim to CRC and they just sent me an email that it is being reviewed. My car is otherwise eligible for buyback.
Hey please keep us posted when crc replies back to you and I wish you good luck

jhuber

TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat SEL, 2015 Audi Q7
has anyone successfully scheduled a turn-in date?
I received an offer on 5/9 and turned the paperwork around the same day. However, no further contact received yet. I was waiting to get the turn-in date scheduled before posting the details here.

Brica

TDI
Passat
Looks like notarize offer letter takes 10 Working days to be approved.
I Supposed to receive something on Monday if Volkswagen follow the timeframe

jjtdi09

TDI
09 TDI
Still waiting a month with all paperwork completed and accepted by vw no response when an offer is coming just under further review.

Luigi Marin

TDI
2012 JSW MT
Hi guys & gals.

I've been following this thread for a while but lost track in the the last couple of months
Wonder if you guys could pitch some advice for me?

I'm in California, I bought my '12 JSW already salvaged in June 2015, car was running and I finished the registration process!
I submitted my paperwork October 2017 and had an appointment to turn in in January 2018, then on the date of the appointment, about 1 hour prior to it they called me saying it was cancelled.
That's when I learned about this thread...
Then the Feb 26 decision came and I consider myself to be in the number 3 category:

"(iii) Owners of used vehicles that were purchased with a branded title and had a
“salvage rebuilt” or equivalent title as of February 26, 2018, are potentially
eligible for Vehicle Value if all other eligibility requirements are met. If the
previous owner of the vehicle does not submit a claim for Owner Restitution by
the September 1, 2018 claim filing deadline, the consumer also may be eligible to
receive Owner Restitution in addition to Vehicle Value."

When I go into my portal application the process is still in step 18: setup an appointment.
Should I just to that, setup the appointment and wait to see what happens or
Should I call them and put them on alert, I imagine they would restart my whole process...
What's your suggestion?
Thank you guys in advance

1. 2.0 or 3.0? 2.0

2. Was the car a VW lease car? No

3. When did you purchase the car? June 2015

4. When was the car crashed? Early 2014

5. When was the car rebuilt and issued a rebuilt title? July 2015

6. When was the VW buyback claim initially submitted? October 2017

7. Was the car/claim ever deemed ineligible by VW? No
Turn in appointment (end of Jan 2018) was cancelled and been sitting in step 18 on the portal since then.

8. Did VW ask you to provide "proof of operability"? Not yet...

9. In which state was the rebuilt title issued? CA

10. In which state is the title currently issued (if different than #9)? CA

I just scheduled my appointment for 1st week of June!

Last edited:

Nowiser

TDI
2014 Passat
Does anyone know what has worked for Proof of Operability? My vehicle falls a month before the 6/28/16 deadline and I was not the owner of the vehicle at that time. I need to somehow have a low bar to cross with as little information as possible.

Any Ideas on how to obtain previous owner information?

Any idea on how to find previous licence plate #'s for vehicle?

Located in California.
Good luck. I had no documents because I did not own the vehicle on the proof of operability date, either. Wrote a letter explaining everything I knew about the vehicle, why it met the requirements, and why it was unreasonable for them to ask for the documents they did. I got the official rejection this morning.

dslgate

TDI
'04 Jetta
Has anyone submitted a CRC appeal challenging the rebuilt-by date of Feb 26th 2018 required in the most recent Claims Supervisor Report guidance? If so, has anyone received a CRC rejection or approval on said appeal?

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
I did appeal and send it with tracking mail, no official answer or anything beside the first Email of rejection without any explanation as for why.. That is well over month ago now 3/13/2018

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI SE
Just a quick update.
I had an appointment to turn in the car(reconstructed title, 2.0 salvaged in oct 2016, registered in sept 2017) today. It went smooth, though a bit unusual from the previous experience. (They wanted me to move the car 5 feet forward, 5 feet back. Fine, no problem.) I opted for eft. Now crossing my fingers.
One thing I asked was if they would be able to tell me if there are more claims to the car. I was told they cannot disclose that, for legal reasons. The lady in Michigan (talked to her over the phone, and then the iPad they used for videos of the car, and pictures) told me that I am not entitled to any restitution for a salvaged car (it shows she has been working for VW only for 2 months).
I would like to know if anyone found out from counsel if there is a transparent (ha!, with VW, right?) process regarding the possibility to receive restitution. What if they completely ignore all owners of salvaged cars, just pretending that they gave the money to initial owners...
Also, since they came with this new rule, does that mean I am entitled to the other half of restitution for a different car I had and sold? (I received half of restitution over a year ago. That car was salvaged May 2015, registered July 2015 as reconstructed. Sold it in march 2016.Wish I kept the car...)
Thanks for any input.
C

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI
Just a quick update.
I had an appointment to turn in the car(reconstructed title, 2.0 salvaged in oct 2016, registered in sept 2017) today. It went smooth, though a bit unusual from the previous experience. (They wanted me to move the car 5 feet forward, 5 feet back. Fine, no problem.) I opted for eft. Now crossing my fingers.
One thing I asked was if they would be able to tell me if there are more claims to the car. I was told they cannot disclose that, for legal reasons. The lady in Michigan (talked to her over the phone, and then the iPad they used for videos of the car, and pictures) told me that I am not entitled to any restitution for a salvaged car (it shows she has been working for VW only for 2 months).
I would like to know if anyone found out from counsel if there is a transparent (ha!, with VW, right?) process regarding the possibility to receive restitution. What if they completely ignore all owners of salvaged cars, just pretending that they gave the money to initial owners...
Also, since they came with this new rule, does that mean I am entitled to the other half of restitution for a different car I had and sold? (I received half of restitution over a year ago. That car was salvaged May 2015, registered July 2015 as reconstructed. Sold it in march 2016.Wish I kept the car...)
Thanks for any input.
C
Thank you for the update CosticaVisinel. I too am wondering about the restitution money seemingly being paid in December. VW has been less than forthcoming on information. Their 'confidential' remark I have heard before and is complete BS. This is not a HIPAA situation, it is a simple yes / no answer without details.

I really wish we had better counsel that would review claims on cars to ensure all is paid correctly. Is anyone 'auditing' VW process? I think Ankura is only reporting results.

Question for you - when you received your email from VW - did it give you amounts? Mine did - including restitution although I think this is just a replay of initial claims 12 months ago. The settlement paperwork only gave buyback amount. Here is a cut and paste from email.

XXXXXXXXXXXX
Please note that the actual payment amount at your closing appointment may differ from the payment amount reflected in your offer letter. Based on the updated mileage information that you provided when scheduling your appointment, the date of your appointment, the outstanding balance of your loan as of the date of your offer letter and the estimated monthly mileage that you provided during the claim submission process, your estimated payment amount is below:
$ 18,350.00 Vehicle Value Amount
$ 6,656.73 Additional Restitution Payment

TDI
I Did receive the same email. Funny thing, yesterday they didn't even give me a thing with how much. The lady said that because of the confusion regarding restitution, with branded titles they don't even go through the details of how much. It is based on the offer letter, which is car value only.
When I confirmed appt, I did input current miles, which was sightly less than the average of 1000 or so per month, and the value increased by $300 from the initial offer. Will see if they keep their word...

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
I've got a couple of salvage claims (that were converted to rebuilt titles last summer) that I still haven't heard anything back on.

Are there many/any others here that are still waiting to hear from VW on salvage title claims? Just wondering because the latest report makes it sound like they've gotten through all of the straight-forward salvage title claims, and I would have thought my remaining salvage claims are pretty straight forward.

TDI
Well, it looks like they kept the word on increasing the amount by $300. Got value of the car. I opted for EFT, the payment email came in 3 business days.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI
Same here - has been 12 business days after notarized offer submitted - still waiting
Same here. Notarized letter submitted. Past the 10 business days. I still see that annoying eyeball. It seems VW slammed on the brakes on accepting their letters. Any ideas why?

jhuber

TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat SEL, 2015 Audi Q7
Same here. Notarized letter submitted. Past the 10 business days. I still see that annoying eyeball. It seems VW slammed on the brakes on accepting their letters. Any ideas why?

Just speculation...it seems that VW sent out a bunch of offers around 5/9, and they may have a backlog of accepted offers to work through now. Or, a darker take would be that they sent out a bunch of offers to satisfy some court requirement, and are just going to sit on them now until some other requirement makes them pay.

Last edited:

ramses333

TDI
2011 (MK6) Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
Hello I am new to this TDI forum. I saw this thread so I didn't want to start a new one for my question.

I purchased my first TDI last year (April 2017) (after 3 VW gassers) for my new long commute job. I purchased this from an insurance auction. Car was in a small rear accident but was running fine so I picked it up knowing it will not be eligible for the buyback.

But I wanted to get the fix done as I plan on driving this car for the long term or at least until the wheels fall off. So I went on the claims portal and and tried to file a claim recently and was greeted with an error and advised to call ricepoint.

I was told by ricepoint that:

1. the reason for the error was that there is an existing claim associated with my Car's VIN (i assume from the previous owner).
2. I am not eligible for any claims (not even the fix) because I purchased the car from a junk yard.

Has any one experienced the same? I doubt the ricepoint rep was correct as I was under the impression every eligible vehicle had to either be offered the buyback or at least the fix for those who do not qualify for the buyback.

If anyone can give me some information or help on who to call to confirm what ricepoint said is indeed true, your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

Jkhalil123

TDI
golf
Hello I am new to this TDI forum. I saw this thread so I didn't want to start a new one for my question.

I purchased my first TDI last year (April 2017) (after 3 VW gassers) for my new long commute job. I purchased this from an insurance auction. Car was in a small rear accident but was running fine so I picked it up knowing it will not be eligible for the buyback.

But I wanted to get the fix done as I plan on driving this car for the long term or at least until the wheels fall off. So I went on the claims portal and and tried to file a claim recently and was greeted with an error and advised to call ricepoint.

I was told by ricepoint that:

1. the reason for the error was that there is an existing claim associated with my Car's VIN (i assume from the previous owner).
2. I am not eligible for any claims (not even the fix) because I purchased the car from a junk yard.

Has any one experienced the same? I doubt the ricepoint rep was correct as I was under the impression every eligible vehicle had to either be offered the buyback or at least the fix for those who do not qualify for the buyback.

If anyone can give me some information or help on who to call to confirm what ricepoint said is indeed true, your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

does the car have a rebuilt title now?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The Canadian settlement differs from the US settlement with respect to the treatment of salvage/rebuilt titles. I'm pretty sure you are out of luck. You can have the fix applied, but there will be no compensation for it and no extended warranty. Personally, I wouldn't bother in that situation.

ramses333

TDI
does the car have a rebuilt title now?
car never had a salvage title. It had a clean title but marked unfit due to the damaged bumper/tailight. All I had to do is replace, tailight/bumper, get it insured and registered and back on the road. There was no need for an inspection to get the "rebuilt" title.

ramses333

TDI
The Canadian settlement differs from the US settlement with respect to the treatment of salvage/rebuilt titles. I'm pretty sure you are out of luck. You can have the fix applied, but there will be no compensation for it and no extended warranty. Personally, I wouldn't bother in that situation.
thank you for the feedback! in that case I will just keep driving it!