Aftermarket Tow Hitch on a Q7

ajskier

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hello All,

I hope everyone is doing well today. I have a quick question for you all. I am looking at purchase a Q7 TDI without a hitch on it, but I need a hitch to pull my boat, so I was going to have one added after I purchased the vehicle. However I wanted to know will this change the max tow capacity? Also, is there anything else that I need to look at adding since this car does not have the factory tow package? My boat with trailer weighs a little over 3k.

Finally just out of curiosity, why is the tow ratings so much different between the Q7 and the Touareg? My Touarge which is going away is rated for over 7K.

Any information that you all can throw my way is greatly appreciated.

Have a good day,

Aaron

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Get the kit from the dealer. It will come with the hitch, all the interface wiring, the trailer control module, and it will plug right in. Then you will need to do some coding changes so the other modules play nice with the trailer module.

This is great, too, because then your car will know when a trailer is attached, and can modify things like shift points, suspension settings, etc. as well as make the ABS/ESP work differently. Some even allow for trailer sway control, which is a neat feature.

Dealer can order you everything by VIN, there are different options depending on what equipment it already has.

Or, you can look here:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...nAi9xvD-7puDI8rVl8ZFQA7LeNTv1WQAaAizSEALw_wcB

Aftermarket often has an OEM type hitch available, you just need to make certain that it fits your car. The one pictured above is the type I have installed. Fit perfect, work great. Not cutting, no drilling, no headaches.

Last edited:

willyworm

TDI
2003 Jetta
I don't have a clear answer on the last question but the only things I can imagine that would provide the higher towing capacity to the Q7 would be gearing and longer wheelbase.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
5500lbs tow capacity installed after the fact, its 6600 if its port installed.. factory installed from port basically includes a bigger fan and shroud, everything else is same as OEM kit as TDI already comes with bigger radiator that the gassers only got if they had tow package.. 6600lbs after the fact should be okay for short distances or flatland.. potential to overheat taking that much weight across a few mountain ranges.

definitely get the OEM kit, you'll need access to a vag-com to recode the tow module from ROW to North America, and to enable tow mode for abs/backup camera/blind spot monitoring/parking sensors/adaptive cruise/air suspension.

Q7 hitch is mounted further away from rear axle than a T-regg, this is why its not rated to 7700lbs.. more leverage.. Installing an electronic brake controller is the same as the T-Regg, it has wiring already under the dash next to the OBD2 port.

Last edited:

ajskier

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thank you all for the information. I ended up finding a Q7 with the tow package already installed.

However, I noticed that where I would plug in the trailer on my Touareg, there is a black plate with a plug in the back of it. Would I just need this...https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...s/7-pin-trailer-harness-connector/4l0055305u/ or can I just take the plug harness off my Touareg and use it since that car is going back in the next 2 days.

Thanks for all of your help,

AJ

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
In addition to that plug, you need to get the trailer light control module Oilhammer mentioned above. Even if you get a used one (match the part number). When you hook up the trailer it will tell the truck to recalibrate the ABS, ESP, transmission, light control, alarm system...

-J

oilhammer

TDI
It is funny, we had a guy who refused to pay for a proper setup for his T'reg. Then came in complaining that his rear sensors were going bananas whenever he hooked a trailer up. Well, durr.... the car constantly thinks someone is right on your bumper tailgating you! Sad thing is, Uhaul BUTCHERED that brand new SUV too. Chopped and hacked it all up. Shame. :(

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
That is a shame :( Deactivating the rear parking sensors is something I forgot the trailer module did too!

-J

oilhammer

TDI
I just wish I could find the same know how and support for MB as we enjoy for VAG stuff. The trailer wire harness I got for my Sprinter is HUGE, and I have no instructions whatsoever. :(

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
The OE trailer module does alot of stuff, one thing I noticed is the hatch release button on the drivers side door wont open it with a trailer plugged in.. just unlocks it, it presumes your hatch may impact your trailer or bike rack if nobody is back there to stop it.

It also tweaks the adaptive cruise control to give you more room and be less aggressive, among disabling blind spot monitoring, parking sensors, locking air suspension so hitch height remains steady, traction control, etc..

ajskier

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
In addition to that plug, you need to get the trailer light control module Oilhammer mentioned above. Even if you get a used one (match the part number). When you hook up the trailer it will tell the truck to recalibrate the ABS, ESP, transmission, light control, alarm system...

-J
J, thank you for the info. I was under the impression that the trailer light control module was part of the factory tow package is that not correct? The reason that I ask is when I took the plug off the touareg and plugged it into the Q7 and hooked my trailer up, the car immediately noticed that I had a trailer light out. Also, when I got the trailer all hooked up to the car the parking sensors did not go off like I was going to hit something.

I am sorry for so many questions, I just want to make sure that I have everything a 100% correct. It amazes me that with the Touareg with the tow package I didn't have to do anything and with the Q7 it seems like a lot of stuff that the factory should have included is not there and you have to buy after the fact to set the car up right to tow.

Again, I appreciate everyone's help and advice.

Take care,
AJ

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
VCDS :D Open up Auto Scan and pull the gateway installation list.

On the Touareg the trailer control module lives in the right side of the cargo area, near the radio amplifier and CD changer.

oilhammer

TDI
And when you install the Trailer Control Module on a car that did not originally have it, you may have to do a CAN reconfiguring, I forget the exact sequence, VCDS has prompts, but it tells the CAN Gateway to go and recheck for any and all new modules. It then will show up in the CAN Gateway installation list.

It seems some cars will tag a new module on their own, others need to be told to "go look" for a new one. It is akin to the "scan for new hardware" deal in Windows, except again newer Windows systems usually know as soon as something new is plugged in anyway.

The VAG kit usually has other module recoding that needs to be performed too in the install directions. I had one recently that had a DTC in the rear park sensors, which I knew was from a minor collision and the sensor was on order. It would not let me recode anything with that DTC there. I had to wait until the sensor came in (bumper cover was already replaced/refinished), clear the DTC, then I could recode everything and make it play nice.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Trailer_Hitch_Retrofitting_(4F)

I had to use some coding from this thread on my 14 because the helper wouldent help: http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?10728-Audi-Q7-Trailer-Hitch-Retrofit

Most cars w/OEM Trailer hitch did not get the plug installed, dunno why.. but it should be correctly coded.. everything should be there tho, tow module, radiator fans, etc.. they wanted to make you pay $100 for the OEM part when you can get it off Amazon for $10 (From same company that makes OEM part, they are identical)

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
I wonder why they disabled the side assist when towing? It seems like a benefit to keep it working...

Borrowed the q7 and we got 14mpg towing the Shasta (too hot to take the V10 and have any gremlin issues again). I'm surprised it was so low

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I hooked a small cargo trailer up before I had everything coded, the side assist would stay on and error after a short time and disable its self until you power cycled.. it monitors quite a ways behind you to look for fast approaching vehicles that are passing.. if it sees the trailer or a bike rack behind you its partially blind and may not be as reliable as you've became accustomed too.. With a trailer your blind spot is much larger too, so its best not to rely on the sensors in these situations as each load could have entirely different characteristics.

Now with it properly coded its disabled when towing is active, and if you try to push the button with a trailer hooked up a message is displayed 'Side Assist disabled while towing'

What speed were you towing? I was getting 22mpg towing a cricket at 65mph, 20mpg @ 70mph and 16mpg @ 80mph.. fuel economy drops dramatically with speed, more so than my 2.0L Golf ever did.. but then again I never hooked a camper up to the Golf and this had at least half a ton on anything the golf towed.

Last edited: