VW software fix on 2015 impressions

Alan Drake

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 DSG
Well got one of the left over 2015 Jetta with software fix. Compared to my 2010 it lacks some torque at the bottom end. It's just not as quick as the 2010 and also lugs on steep hills. :(

Any other opinions? (these are just feelings, not based upon any facts)
Anyone know just what was done so far?

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
I got mine with the fix already done, but compared to my mom's 2013 A3 DSG mine drags ass. I'm sure some of it is because of the insanely low rpm upshifts, but I can't seem to get a feel for the powerband at all. Puching it from a dead stop it'll lag a little then zip away, but overall it feels pretty gutless. I won't be pulling out in front of traffic to pass anytime soon.

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDi Malone Stage 2, Rawtek.
Pre to post "Phase One Fix" comparison for ours is really disappointing. Really too bad as it's a nice vehicle other than the uncertainty of the Phase 2 fix and of course the current ECU rewrite. On ours low end torque off idle to 1500 rpm much better, post Fix. As it's a 6 mt much better starting in 1st gear now, 4th, 5th and 6th are down significantly on power dangerously so compared to pre fix. With 4 people in the car really noticeable down on power highway speed compared to pre fix.

Looked at aftermarket tunes and due to impending phase two fix, uncertainty of results, plus negatives of Phase one, potential voided warrenty (with tune), time delay waiting for phase two, additional mileage charges (between fix 1 and 2) we are executing the buy back. Oh ya and we've lost fuel economy too, 0.5 litres per 100 Kms and not sure on AdBlue volume usage. The straw for me is the loss in performance.

j

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That's odd. The dyno results I've seen from the same car on the same dyno show pretty uniform gains across the entire powerband post fix. There may be another problem with your car.

Alan Drake

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 DSG
Remember these are just feelings, not based upon any facts - would be nice to see the dyno results.
When my salesman took a drive with me - he mentioned that he noticed it was disappointing going up hill. Believe he has a 2014.

Today I floored it to enter the highway, good 1st gear into 2nd and almost stops, my 2010 would spin the tires. Well, tried again but in "S" much better

carnotgas

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Lots of torque and power

All I have to compare it to is my sold back 09 manual. The 2015 with DSG outperforms it in every way. Acceleration, hill climbing and fuel economy. The torque reminds me of the old V8 muscle cars of the 60's!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Remember these are just feelings, not based upon any facts - would be nice to see the dyno results.
When my salesman took a drive with me - he mentioned that he noticed it was disappointing going up hill. Believe he has a 2014.

Today I floored it to enter the highway, good 1st gear into 2nd and almost stops, my 2010 would spin the tires. Well, tried again but in "S" much better
I suspect it's more of a dsg issue than engine performance issue. The dsg may be cutting torque when driven aggressively. I'd just drive in S mode if that is much better. The dyno thread is in the mk7 golf forum.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Pre to post "Phase One Fix" comparison for ours is really disappointing. Really too bad as it's a nice vehicle other than the uncertainty of the Phase 2 fix and of course the current ECU rewrite. On ours low end torque off idle to 1500 rpm much better, post Fix. As it's a 6 mt much better starting in 1st gear now, 4th, 5th and 6th are down significantly on power dangerously so compared to pre fix. With 4 people in the car really noticeable down on power highway speed compared to pre fix.
Looked at aftermarket tunes and due to impending phase two fix, uncertainty of results, plus negatives of Phase one, potential voided warrenty (with tune), time delay waiting for phase two, additions mileage charges (between fix 1 and 2) we are executing the buy back. Oh ya and we've lost fuel economy too, 0.5 litres per 100 Kms and not sure on AdBlue volume usage. The straw for me is the loss in performance.
j
If you're worried about the warranty you can purchase a Chipwerke Pro module. I have one on my wife's car and it works well.

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
Dyno results would be interesting to see, albeit not real world, meaning driving. Totally true this is seat of the pants feelings, however I drive the same road same load weekly. On one hill 3 120-150lb soccer girls and me, (+- 6-8% grade) used to pull in 5th and be able to accelerate (albeit slowly), now 4th to the floor. As this is a manual car power can't be masked via the auto shifting tranny. Could there be something wrong with the car.... yup it's called a phase 1 fix. As noted above loss of power is most notable in 4, 5, 6.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dyno results would be interesting to see, albeit not real world, meaning driving. Totally true this is seat of the pants feelings, however I drive the same road same load weekly. On one hill 3 120-150lb soccer girls and me, (+- 6-8% grade) used to pull in 5th and be able to accelerate (albeit slowly), now 4th to the floor. As this is a manual car power can't be masked via the auto shifting tranny. Could there be something wrong with the car.... yup it's called a phase 1 fix. As noted above loss of power is most notable in 4, 5, 6.
I'd say either there's some other problem with the car, or you need to recalibrate the butt-o-meter. I'd be tempted to try a quarter mile run (minus the neighborhood kids) to see what kind of times it can do. A top speed run would be telling, but unfortunately probably no autobahn nearby.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Chipwerke Pro module covered under warrenty?
j
It's not detectable. It's a piggyback module that plugs into sensors on the engine. I installed one on my wife's car and haven't had any issues. A lot of people use them on the 3.0 TDI and 3.0 T. They have a 30 day money back guarantee.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Well got one of the left over 2015 Jetta with software fix. Compared to my 2010 it lacks some torque at the bottom end. It's just not as quick as the 2010 and also lugs on steep hills. :(

I think this is true. My GSW (manual) is definitely low on torque at tip-in. Getting it tuned next week so that should fix the problem. :D

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not detectable. It's a piggyback module that plugs into sensors on the engine. I installed one on my wife's car and haven't had any issues. A lot of people use them on the 3.0 TDI and 3.0 T. They have a 30 day money back guarantee.
Thanks Barry, I'll check it out. Not for the Jetta, but perhaps the Touareg we just acquired. Presumably you remove the piggyback module prior to servicing at the dealership?

Thanx again,

j

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd say either there's some other problem with the car, or you need to recalibrate the butt-o-meter. I'd be tempted to try a quarter mile run (minus the neighborhood kids) to see what kind of times it can do. A top speed run would be telling, but unfortunately probably no autobahn nearby.
I may give that a whirl, just for fun 1/4 run and use an app like Dynolicious to see what it yields. Might be something with the car, was one of the first 5 or so said the dealership to do the phase one fix in my town...

Spoke with the guys from Malone and they said they where doing a number of the EA288 series and thier files perk them up well. Kind of a moot point at this juncture as we intend on shipping it back.

j

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Thanks Barry, I'll check it out. Not for the Jetta, but perhaps the Touareg we just acquired. Presumably you remove the piggyback module prior to servicing at the dealership?
Thanx again,
j
Yes. It's very easy to install and uninstall. Check eBay when they have coupons available or eBay Bucks deals. They do have a discount code for the website, but they charge more there.

jokerjp

TDI
Shopping for my 1st TDI
As the owner of a 6 sp manual, I've seen or felt very little difference in software fix #1. In fact my Jetta actually seems to make a bit more power towards the top end of the band and fuel economy has been excellent and really unchanged since before the software update. Bottom line, I'm happy I kept mine and have no regrets.....also not worried about phase II because if it ends up impacting the performance of the car, I'm always free to do a custom tune and DPF delete and drive the car "hacked" for as long as I please.

Tornado TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
I didn't notice any difference in mine after the fix.
I took it for a drive up in the mountains this weekend and it flew uphill with 4 adults in it just like before. :)

beetlemania

TDI
2002, 2010, 2013

Same with my 2013 6 speed i just had fixed. I think people with autos cannot feel the diff but I sure can in my manual. I am constantly having to downshift on the highway now in 6th gear to pass or even if there is a slight incline in the road. Missing a lot of torque, we have never ever had to downshift this car before... ever

Little Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta HL
As a reference between a 15 and a 14.
My SIL has 15, I have 14. I much prefer the 14 engine ......it has more bottom end and is happier at lower revs. The 15 is more power but needs to be rung out more to get it(not what I prefer in a diesel)

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
For those of us who just bought the 2015 Jetta TDI vehicles upon approval of a fix by the EPA (in the Spring/Summer of 2017), is there another stage of the fix that we will have to do, or all we "all set" with emissions fixes at this point?

Thank you,
Mark

Airbus320

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
For those of us who just bought the 2015 Jetta TDI vehicles upon approval of a fix by the EPA (in the Spring/Summer of 2017), is there another stage of the fix that we will have to do, or all we "all set" with emissions fixes at this point?

Thank you,
Mark

Mark there is also a phase two of the fix which involves hardware, a different DPF. It will be mid 2018

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The second stage of the fix is focused on replacing hardware that may wear out during the warranty period. They are adding one sensor, but there's no indication that the car will drive any different after the next stage of the fix.

Regardless, mine probably won't ever see the dealer again.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The second stage of the fix is focused on replacing hardware that may wear out during the warranty period. They are adding one sensor, but there's no indication that the car will drive any different after the next stage of the fix.

Regardless, mine probably won't ever see the dealer again.

Isn't it mandatory to bring it back in for Stage 2 fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Trendline+
Not that I know of. They have no way to compel you to bring the car in.
Here in Canada the second amount of the payout is only paid after the second part of the fix are completed. For me that's a $3500 incentive (going to be a new head unit.)

I'd also be willing to say that you may not get the extended warranty if all the fixes are not completed.

In other comments, I do not notice any difference between pre and post stage 1 fix.

I do not feel that the car is weak going up hills (including the Coquihalla here in BC) and even at 120kph on big hills I can hit the go pedal and accelerate.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm referring to non-titled cars purchased with the fix installed. No payout. And of course you wouldn't get warranty coverage.

in my case I suspect my '15 will accumulate miles very slowly until I retire my '02. It's highly unlikely it will qualify for any hardware replacements during the warranty period.

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
From what I was told by a friend getting the fix on his 15 Golf, they split the $5000 payout in half, so he got about $2500.00 and will get the software flash this week, but they are holding out on the remainder until a later TBD date for the hardware fix.

I went in the other with my 14, and the service writer had put do not do Emissions fix, as i was a waiter on my 14 that was in for an oil change and a key issue. I didnt want the fix as i dont qualify for the payout, but if they try to force a fix, i will claim the payout.