Malone Tune Error

mwmclelland15

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI - 393xxxkm
Good day,

I recently had Malone Tuning send me a tune for my 2006 Jetta TDI 5spd which had recently had the EGR "deleted". I went to flash my ECU tonight with the tune, following the instructions to a T, and I encountered quite a few errors.

The write file for my 1.5 Stage tune was almost fully done writing to my ECU when it failed giving me a "An error occurred while writing the ECU please try again".

So I did exactly that, I tried again. The second time rad fan came on, and all lights on dash came on with a constant warning beep, its first step was to erase the flash before it wrote again, however half way through the erasing and the constant beeping it came up with another error "An error occurred while erasing the ECU flash memory, please try again".

At this point I'm quite fed up and thinking the tune was incorrect so I decide to write the original tune back to the ECU. Its at this point I get another error saying "ECU not found, check connection cables and power". This leads me to believe I am having ECU issues.

Has anyone ever had an issue like this? Sounds more like my ECU is crashing.

Any help would be great. I have contacted Malone as well.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
First time this has happened in a long while, no idea what would have happened there. Shouldn't be anything wrong with the file we tune a lot of these.

Guess I'll be bench flashing this next week :( apologies for the headache.

Last edited:

mwmclelland15

TDI
First time this has happened in a long while, no idea what would have happened there. Shouldn't be anything wrong with the file we tune a lot of these.

Guess I'll be bench flashing this next week :( apologies for the headache.
No worries Owain, like you told me most likely an issue on my end just trying to figure out what that is. Can you email me all the information I need to send it out to you?

Thanks,
Mark

mwmclelland15

TDI
UPDATE:

As mentioned above it was looking to be an issue on my end. I originally thought my ECU was crashing however after trying different methods over the next day I came to the conclusion that my battery was weak. Something this simple with not much warning caused this issue. It was about my 5th attempt when I realized the backlight for my dash display started to flicker during the tune write process. I decided to throw in another battery and it worked. Then load tested my battery and it was shot. I wish I realized this earlier but it was difficult too as all the electronics in the car were working as usual.

Anyways all is now good. The car runs and drives great! Very impressed with both the "delete" and the tune. Thanks to Malone for the tune as well as the great customer service during this issue.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just for the heck of it, aren't you supposed to connect a battery charger to your car when your doing the tune ?