Actual Purchases of 2015 Stop-Sale (NEW TDI's)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I was told by the Late great Chris Farnham before I purchased my2015 Jetta SEL TDI that only 2-3% of TDI's were sold with a stick shift....
All due respect to the late, great Chris, but that's flat out wrong. 2-3% of SELs, maybe, but not TDIs as a whole. I've had several dealers tell me that TDIs were sold with the highest percentage of manuals of any VW model, except the GTI. My local dealer told me he always ordered about 20% manuals, and couldn't keep them in stock.

VW enthusiasts buy manuals for serveral reasons: they like them, as mentioned above; and VW's automatics have traditionally been inferior to their manuals. The current DSG is a much better transmission than the reviled 01M, but in the past all VW autos have had a shorter service life than manuals. And they require maintenance that manuals don't. That last item is no big deal in my opinion but then again, I don't own one.

I was driving my 335d yeseterday and couldn't help but think how much nicer that car would be with a manual, even in Boston traffic. If you like a car with three pedals, there's no substitute.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
All due respect to the late, great Chris, but that's flat out wrong. 2-3% of SELs, maybe, but not TDIs as a whole. I've had several dealers tell me that TDIs were sold with the highest percentage of manuals of any VW model, except the GTI. My local dealer told me he always ordered about 20% manuals, and couldn't keep them in stock.

VW enthusiasts buy manuals for serveral reasons: they like them, as mentioned above; and VW's automatics have traditionally been inferior to their manuals. The current DSG is a much better transmission than the reviled 01M, but in the past all VW autos have had a shorter service life than manuals. And they require maintenance that manuals don't. That last item is no big deal in my opinion but then again, I don't own one.

I was driving my 335d yeseterday and couldn't help but think how much nicer that car would be with a manual, even in Boston traffic. If you like a car with three pedals, there's no substitute.
Whatever.....Chris did the requests for TDI's....and the last couple of years there was a noticeable lack of TDI sticks.....

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI (Canadian Import) 5 Speed, 2015 Golf TDI SE DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI SE (connectivity) DSG
The dsg is great as well but nothing beats a 6 speed!

hoveldowns

TDI
2002 Golf (RIP) 2015 A3 (rose from the grave)
How many miles have people been getting on DSG if they change fluids regularly?
I like the DSG, because I can shift if I want, or laze out and drive. I don't like the autoshift pattern in the lower gears

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've heard of very few DSG failures. Flywheels wear out, but that's true of manual transmissions, too.

Shift patterns can be adjusted with a DSG tune.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
The DSG is "OK" - When we got the Golf, this was going to be the wife's car (I was going to keep driving my Beetle that has had the O1M to 5 speed manual conversion (among other things)). About a week after we got it, I had a suspected break near my left ankle and I couldn't drive the stick ( I can't drive a manual without the clutch - even if it is possible). We took the DSG because we wanted instant gratification rather than wait on a 6 speed Manual to come in.

I prefer to think of the DSG as an "Automatic shifting manual". The wife will just drive in D, but I usually put it in S ( pretty close to the way I drive my Beetle), unless I decide I want to rock the gears with the paddleshifters.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Get a Malone DSG tune. You'll be happy.
I'm not going to name the vendor (they are an authorized Malone affiliate), but they told me that a DSG tune isn't really necessary on the 2015s, even up through Stage 2 Malone tune. Has anyone else heard similar? Perhaps the clutch pack is a bit more robust or the factory TCU tune is improved?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Necessary? No. Makes the car nicer to drive? Yes. Not sure how Malone identifies what's necessary. I recently had a conversation about this with Jeff at Rocketchip as a colleague here had his DSG tuned (along with the engine) on his '15. The owner reports the car drives far better. And Jeff tells me the tune keeps the car from shifting from 1st to second at low revs, and also keeps it out of 6th below 50 MPH or so. Both annoying features of the DSG, whether the engine is tuned or not.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Yeah, I reflexively tap the shifter to S mode whenever I accelerate to cruising speed. Solves that silliness.

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone: 05 Jetta GLS Wagon Current: 2015 GSW SEL 6MT
Dealer said last night that approval has been given to sell Buy Backs other than 2015s. He wondered how many might be available as there were rumors that once they left VW lots, nasty, disabling things may have been done to them.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Dealer said last night that approval has been given to sell Buy Backs other than 2015s.
I seriously doubt this. May be wishful thinking on his part. I've seen nothing to indicate that Gen 1 or 2 bought back cars can be repaired and sold.

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone: 05 Jetta GLS Wagon Current: 2015 GSW SEL 6MT
I seriously doubt this. May be wishful thinking on his part. I've seen nothing to indicate that Gen 1 or 2 bought back cars can be repaired and sold.
I questioned if older cars had the right stuff also.. Did they have DPF? But even then, he thought there was a plan. His info has been pretty reliable all along. Who knows.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
A plan is different from approval. I am confident that Gen 1 and 2 bought back vehicles will be approved for resale, just not until a reasonable quantity (whatever that is) of titled cars are fixed.

eutecticpt

TDI
2004 Jetta
Paid $21,000 for a CPO 2015 GSW S Trim package with a six speed manual with 13,700 miles. Bought it in Atlanta GA from Jim Ellis VW. Not a screaming deal, but I don't think I overpaid. Love the car--great performance, quiet and nice firm ride. Got 53 mpg on my first tank.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Paid $21,000 for a CPO 2015 GSW S Trim package with a six speed manual with 13,700 miles. Bought it in Atlanta GA from Jim Ellis VW. Not a screaming deal, but I don't think I overpaid. Love the car--great performance, quiet and nice firm ride. Got 53 mpg on my first tank.
Maybe not a screaming deal, but one I'd probably make if I'd missed out on a leftover never-titled '15. As I say to people, when else are you going to get a small diesel wagon with a manual transmission? Never in the US, most likely.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
$18,995 at North Park Volkswagen. Just got back home; mom's trading in her bulky 4Runner for a CPO 2015 Golf Sportwagen. Only 31,700 on the odometer and the car looks and smells like new. And yes, I know this is the new thread, but I have yet to find any dealers out here with new 2015 TDIs.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I am doing something today that I never thought I would do in my time as a TDI owner.

Going to drop off the car at the dealership and get my 10k mile service done by them.

Ill report back with my experiences. Wish me luck!

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
and the TDI premium is still in effect.
Wow.

My 2016 GSW TSI, was $18,425 brand new, 11 miles on it, in 3/2016.
People are paying more than that to get a used, older car, with more miles, without the MIB II infotainment, and without cloth seats (I prefer cloth over the swampy, fake leather)
Yes, my wagon doesn't have the TDI torque and gets about 10 mpg less, but that's [list above] a lot of compromise that needs to be overcome.
At least you get the 11yr/162k mile warranty (along with required fuel filter changes and an expensive TB job)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I don't consider the fuel filter changes or the timing belt system a major expense. these new Timing belts are good for I heard 150k miles.. I seriously doubt I will let it go that long myself and I can do the job myself no sweat.

yes these cars demand a premium, because of the return on our investment.

come see us in 10 years and lets compare residual values...

some examples of my own TDI experiences.
2000 NB tdi bought with 40k miles in 2003 for $10,700, sold 3 years later after 50k miles for $10,300
2001 2 door golf TDI bought in 2007 with 100k miles, for 10k. sold in 2010 after 30k more miles, for 7k.
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI bought in 2010 with 148k miles for $6500 with tons of MODS on it, sold in 2017 with 230k miles for $5700.

I have no doubt that my GSW TDI will be worth more than any TSI of the same or newer model year regardless of mileage when I do decide to part with it. These cars hold their value.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Some people (me included) just don't want a gasoline powered car. I didn't pay a premium for my leftover TDI, and if you keep your car for a long time model year doesn't matter. The GSW is a nice car, but as a gasser I don't think it would hold much appeal to me. I will admit I'd prefer cloth seats. Maybe I'll do a swap at some point.
Maintenance costs? Resale value? I honestly don't give much thought to either. These are inexpensive cars to buy and own. Roll into the accelerator at 75 MPH in sixth in the TDI and you'll understand why we like them.

Oh, wait, your car doesn't come with a six-speed manual. ;)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Sure the individual maintenance bills are kind of shocking but for the overall life of the car, it's not really too bad. I'm happy there's a fix because I can put off the hassle of trying to find something close to the JSW for mileage and usability and size for several more years.

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI (Canadian Import) 5 Speed, 2015 Golf TDI SE DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI SE (connectivity) DSG
and the TDI premium is still in effect.
Wow.

My 2016 GSW TSI, was $18,425 brand new, 11 miles on it, in 3/2016.
People are paying more than that to get a used, older car, with more miles, without the MIB II infotainment, and without cloth seats (I prefer cloth over the swampy, fake leather)
Yes, my wagon doesn't have the TDI torque and gets about 10 mpg less, but that's [list above] a lot of compromise that needs to be overcome.
At least you get the 11yr/162k mile warranty (along with required fuel filter changes and an expensive TB job)
I once was foolishly trying to convince myself a gasser would do the job just as good if not better than a 2015 TDI. If you can drive your TSI happily, by all means great! it doesn't compare to a TDI engine and what we look for in these cars. Gasser engines are unattractive, I get real life 46mpgs with some amazing torque. I know if I spend the extra in maintanence costs my car will last 350k+ miles. How do I know? Family members have had 3 go the same distance. If you think a twice in a lifetime timing belt, or fuel filter changes every 20k are a detriment, come back in 10 years. My car will still be worth 6-7k and still on the road. Yours will most likely be sitting with a blown motor or some sort of major failure as most gasser VWs eventually come to at way less than the TDI.

If I were you I would find a way to trade in that gasser while it's still worth something and get into something truly special(even if they cheated to help the consumer) they're amazing engines- and 2015s will stick with heavy resale values as the years go on due to supply/demand. Still enough out there from the buyback, that won't last- just like the thousands and thousands that flew off the lots and had year+ long deposits sitting on them.

Now ask yourself? Would ANYBODY put a deposit on a TSI engine Volkswagen?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Did this tonight:

I suspected the gauge hit empty early, so I was able to drive around a bit before bringing it home with 0 remaining (I fuel at my house). Put in 12.3 gallons. So there was still .9 gallons left in the tank. I probably won't make a habit of it, but it's good to know that I can run it to 0 without issue if I'm in a bind.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I know. It's an adjustment. It wasn't a particularly easy tank (lots of traffic, runs at 80+ MPH, etc.). And look at the total miles on the car. Not exactly broken in.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Bought a 2015 jetta TDI two weeks ago. I am having drivability problems. The brakes on my Jetta are shuddering at a hard brake action at 70 mph. On further inspection a friend pointed out to me my rotors are pitted pretty deep. Also have a very rough rear suspension ride when going over a bump around 45 mph or so. Also get significant road noise transmitted to the cabin. Also a bit of roaring at 60 mph or so. I went to my local VW dealer, the largest VW dealer in the state. Service advisor told me that brakes are a wear item. I have had this cAr two weeks! I did not buy this car at that dealership because they didn't have a new 2015 Tdi. So, the service advisor gave me the VW 800 number for customer care. I feel I am going to have a minimal experience because this car sAt for 2.5 years and VW isn't going to help me.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
How about contacting the dealer you bought it from?