1996 Passat Wagon TDI
So, I'm looking at IDParts and they state:

IMPORTANT: Cars with 1Z Engine code must purchase new intake and exhaust valves

Why is this so?

mustangmarty

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Wagon TDI
Ok, I just found the HG kit and it doesn't say that. I was looking at the refresh kit earlier. So next question... Why would a head gasket be OPTIONAL in a head gasket set? Also, while I'm at it, what are the advantages of OEM head bolts over aftermarket head bolts? Or ARP studs for that matter?

By the way, the reason I want to pull the head is to clean all the carbon out of it. It's really caked in there good and all the scraping, and soaking, and compressed air can't really get it out. So I'm planning on pulling it, disassembling it, and taking it to a machine shop for cleaning.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
There are three different head gasket thicknesses and thus three different head gaskets available... so the specific head gasket is generally ordered separately from the generic kit with the rest of the gaskets needed when replacing the head.

The right gasket is chosen by measuring piston protrusion of the specific engine being rebuilt, which can only be done once the head is removed. You can however order the generic kit with the rest of the gaskets in advance.

The service manual, which lists all the correct torque values and sequences, also has the table that translates between the measured piston protrusion and the correct head gasket to order.

Last edited:

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
At the front of the head gasket is a small part protruding from the block. In it are some small holes. The holes must match the new gasket. No need measuring the piston protrusion, the holes are the indicator.

mustangmarty

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Wagon TDI
That's the kit I be lookin' for.

However, upon further research, i learned about walnut media blasting which is something I feel comfortable doing. Especially since i wouldn't be opening a possible other can of worms by needlessly removing the head. Anyone know what grit would be best for this job? 20 grit? 25 grit? 40 grit?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Were you going to pull the head to clean carbon out of it? That's probably not necessary, nor is walnut blasting on a TDI. Remove the intake manifold, clean it, clean the ports leading into the combustion chambers (making sure the valves are closed when you clean each port) and you should be all set.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
No need measuring the piston protrusion, the holes are the indicator.
Personally I disagree, since you're counting on the last mechanic to have done it right... particularly if you find you have a generic 3-hole gasket, since some mechanics just throw the thickest gasket in and call it a day. :D

But... just my opinion, and your car your rules of course. :)

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Depending on miles the valve guides might need to be renewed, especially the exhaust guides. Also, it's always a good idea to replace the valve stem seals.

At 240,000 my B3V donor engine needed new exhaust valve guides and all stem seals. I had the cyl head cleaned and surfaced, valves done and guides / seals done it was right at $200.

If you have it off now is the time to do it. IIRC I used the Reinz head gasket when I reinstalled.

Steve

mustangmarty

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Wagon TDI
Were you going to pull the head to clean carbon out of it? That's probably not necessary, nor is walnut blasting on a TDI. Remove the intake manifold, clean it, clean the ports leading into the combustion chambers (making sure the valves are closed when you clean each port) and you should be all set.
Well, I did exactly this and it’s been fine. However, I’ve got another B4 that has a leaking head gasket, so I’m back to this again. The part that protrudes from the front shows only one hole. Now the car did overheat on I-10 this summer. So what are the chances the head is warped? If so, then won’t the machine shop have to shave it to make it true again? And won’t that then require a thicker head gasket? So should I order a 2-hole or a 3-hole HG now? Or should I stick with a 1-hole HG?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You should have the head planed to make sure the new gasket seals properly. But it doesn't affect gasket thickness. Piston protrusion determines head gasket thickness.