Intermentent taillight issue

Dallas

TDI
2 Jetta TDI's
I search on this and tried a few things and it's still not working properly, I know these MKV (06 Jetta)are prone to electrical issues, but I need to get a handle on this. Here is my symptom on the tail light. During the day my drivers side outside blinker / brake light works fine. At night when I turn the lights on everything works for a little while, (well sometimes it's immediate, sometimes it takes a little while). The tail lights work fine until I use my left blinker or brake. The outside light will go out and post the light out indicator on the dash. At this point I can turn my lights OFF and tap my brakes a few times or turn the blinker on and it will start working and the dash indicator will go off. As soon as I turn my lights back on and press the brakes it will go out again, and the indicator will come back on. So I think it has something to do with the switching voltages for the different brightnesses of the bulb.. Why couldnt VW just use a good old 1157 bulb. I tried new oem bulbs, cleaning the socket contacts, Deoxit on the sockets. I don't think power is at the socket and socket plug when it is failing. So I think the problem is further up the line. Any help out there?

HgJettaSEA

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I just posted an update on a problem I've had in summertime where the turn signal goes out for awhile (when driving the car after parking in hot summer sun) then comes back online. Service tech at Group 2 Motorsports in Seattle recommended replacing the relay behind the 4-way flasher button in the dash. He said that it's a frequent point of failure. So far, the problem hasn't recurred in the 2 months since I had the relay replaced. I'm optimistic but not 100% convinced at this point.

I don't know if it's related to your problem, but I thought I'd pass along the tip.

Dallas

TDI
2 Jetta TDI's
I just posted an update on a problem I've had in summertime where the turn signal goes out for awhile (when driving the car after parking in hot summer sun) then comes back online. Service tech at Group 2 Motorsports in Seattle recommended replacing the relay behind the 4-way flasher button in the dash. He said that it's a frequent point of failure. So far, the problem hasn't recurred in the 2 months since I had the relay replaced. I'm optimistic but not 100% convinced at this point.

I don't know if it's related to your problem, but I thought I'd pass along the tip.
I'll try that thanks! And I was just in there a couple weeks ago replacing my broken a/c vents.