MK6 write up of cleaning carbon from TDI intake system?

STLvwConvert

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (buyback 8/29/17)
Tried searching and just found a bunch of posts relating to and EGR or DPF issue.

I'm wanting to know if anyone has done a DIY write up for the 2.0 2009+ CR engines in regards to cleaning the carbon build-up in the EGR valve and intake system as a result?

I found this older write up in the How-To's but didn't know if this would be sufficient for the newest engine? http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=157948

This link below has some good ground notes, but pictures wouldn't hurt.

http://www.underhoodservice.com/cleaning-carbon-from-tdi-intake-systems/

Thanks for the help and assistance!

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
The intake shouldn't need to be cleaned, unless if you really want to for the fun of it. There are two EGR valves, one is high pressure and one is low pressure. High pressure EGR isn't used that much, low pressure is used more and is filtered. On top of that, the defeat device used by VW more than likely reduced the EGR usage, probably to keep the intake clean and for longer life out of the DPF. See, they were thinking about us. :)

STLvwConvert

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (buyback 8/29/17)
LOL. yeah running into the low EGR flow and the exhaust pipes are sooty....so cracked DPF and clogged EGR. Wanting to put a bandaid on it in the meantime and clean out the EGR on my 2012 until 1) emission decision is made by VW on the fix and 2) my vehicle emission check is coming up in 5 months 3) pray that mileage is extended on emission related devices now or VW somehow miraculously covers the repair (i'm over warranty mileage)....otherwise I'll be going in a different direction

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Ouch, sorry to hear that. My worst fear is that scenario, especially with with dieselgate going on. Here's a writeup for the intake manifold removal.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/i...ve-removal-cjaa-cbea-audi-vw-2-0l-tdi-engine/

Depending on the mileage of your car, VW may cover it under goodwill. It wouldn't hurt to take it to the dealer, then give Volkswagen Group of America a call and tell them your concerns. Good luck, let us know how it all works out.

TDI
2010 blue JSW
I am having this very issue on my 2010 JSW. CEL came on a few days before the recall mod was to be installed. Diagnostic shows P2015 P0401 code. The dealership wants to replace the DPF and intake manifold total repair is $4k. Both parts are covered under recall warranty after the mod but VW won't touch it until the CEL is fixed. Spoke with VWGoA and they said tough luck.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Clear the DTCs (neither one will come back right away) and drive it in for the mod to be done. Then "play dumb" when it faults after the fact. Worth a try at least.

This whole deal is a turd sandwich, really. I have several customers who had issues and we were stringing them along as long as possible in hopes that a fix would become available, only to find out you have to "fix" your car before they will actually "fix" it. LOL... wut? Nuts.

Mine got fixed permanently by me. No warranty, no worries. :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
at a minimum for the codes you had, you can get out of it pretty cheap diesel geek P2015 bracket for $68, then a new EGR filter should be able to get you in without codes and then once you have the warranty once the EGR fills up again it'll be on VW dime