Possible engine damage from CARB corrections

Clawdog60

TDI
12 jetta sport wagen
This may have been asked somewhere already but I didn't find it.
VW engineers and upper management claimed engine damage could occur was one of the primary reasons for the cheat.
So now with cheat removed what sort of engine damage may happen to these TDI's now? :eek:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Seems to me that the 'cheat' (working the letter of the law to an unintended consequence is more accurate, but hardly easy to say) was there to try and protect the lifetime of the emissions reduction equipment. VW is hardly interested in committing even more costs to make such equipment last 100k miles being 'on' ALL the freakin' time, when you can make it much cheaper if you can figure out how to make it last only part of the time. And as we all know, lower costs mean more profit, and the shareholders like that part of the game more than anything else.

Having said that, I seriously doubt there would be damage to the actual engine part of this whole thing due to programming and/or emissions equipment changes.

Except (and what follows is my conjecture, since I am not privy to any of the fix details): when a regen cycle is run, IIRC, the extra heat is supplied by enriching the exhaust with diesel injected during the exhaust cycle. That extra fuel can stick to the cylinder walls and cause trouble, that trouble being minimized when the engine is hot due to the volatility of diesel. They're counting on the extra fuel vaporizing instead of fuel droplets hitting the cylinder walls. Which of course, leads to why VW doesn't like biodiesel or blends thereof in any of their diesels, and especially the DPF equipped CR engines. Bio-D doesn't vaporize nearly as well as dino-diesel.

This, of course, leads back to the 'cleaner' solution: that of just adding an extra injector outside of the engine in the exhaust stream somewhere. VW didn't want to do that, however, since it costs more. Sigh...

The upshot is, back to the original question, is that the more heavily used fuel enrichment of the exhaust will probably be used more in the fixes, so the possible problem of unburned or partially burned fuel making it into the crankcase and diluting the oil might be a problem.

Keep an eye on the engine oil.

Cheers,

PH

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
'snip' This, of course, leads back to the 'cleaner' solution: that of just adding an extra injector outside of the engine in the exhaust stream somewhere. VW didn't want to do that, however, since it costs more. Sigh... 'snip'

Keep an eye on the engine oil.

Cheers,

PH
VW did do that back in 96 with the B4 Passat with the 1Z engine. It was a disaster due to the crude injector and ECU technology used back then. The cars would smoke like a tire fire when going through a regen. VW had a recall where the ECU was replaced along with the intake manifold.

Oh yeah, and keep an eye on the oil level. When I was working and driving 150 miles/day my car's oil level was always spot on, it never used any oil. I changed my oil every 10k miles back then. Now that I'm retired and driving less than 100 miles/week, my oil level goes down around to the bottom of the hash marks on the dipstick at about 5k miles. I'm not sure how much oil that is, around ~.5L? When I change my oil I top the oil off to around the top of the hash marks, maybe 3/4 of the way. I'm not scientific about it. As long as I see oil on the hash marks I'm good. I change my oil every 6 months now regardless of mileage.

Drive more and worry less.

:)

Clawdog60

TDI
12 jetta sport wagen
engine damage

Yeah I keep a close eye on the oil.
My original comment was about things that were said off of the Dirty Money documentary. If they said something about exhaust system damage from pre emissions vehicles I didn't catch it engine damage was what I caught.
Warranty is fine as long as these emission changes aren't causing a premature slow engine death as in not long after the warranty is finished.
Runs good so far.