Navigation vs Satellite ?

T Dot

Veteran Member
It may be a simple answer, but I could not find anything in my searches.

If a vehicle is only satellite radio equipped, is that satellite module enough to get NAV? Meaning only the head unit needs to be changed out and its a simple plug and play? Is this the case, or is it better to look for a NAV equipped vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
From what I have read here on the forums guys just plug and play. Apparently all cars are wired the same with different head units.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Satellite radio is quite separate from NAV. NAV requires a dedicated GPS antenna to be installed.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Im kind of confused on your exact question. Sat radio has only to do with Serious XM. Navigation units will require its own antenna either OE or aftermarket. Are you looking VW? If so either OE or aftermarket will reguire an addition of a navigation antenna unless you have a car that came with nav. You can plug and play OE depending on vehicle/unit. You can also adapt the OE antenna to an aftermarket unit if the car was origanally equipt with nav.

I personally prefer an aftermarket unit with garmin over OE VW as long as it has traffic assist.

T Dot

Veteran Member
I apologize for any confusion. Let me rephrase. If a car head unit only comes with satellite, could one swap out the unit with a nav unit and would it be simply plug and play?

I read a small blurb that all cars are wired the same, meaning everything has been wired for nav. Is this the case? Sorry if I am not explaining myself correctly

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
I have no personal experience but thought I read where the nav units were plug and play but apparently a nav antenna must be installed when upgrading to a head unit with navagation.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I have no personal experience but thought I read where the nav units were plug and play but apparently a nav antenna must be installed when upgrading to a head unit with navagation.
Yep, cheap on ebay

T Dot

Veteran Member
Where does this nav antenna get installed? Is additional roof drilling required?

Thanks in advance

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Where does this nav antenna get installed? Is additional roofnn drilling required?
Thanks in advance
No, a nav ant is recomended to be placed on the dash. Its a small square unit and not like an antenna. Search Youtube for install

OmikronPhi

TDI
None, yet
I got a 2012 jetta tdi...the base model. I bought a nav radio off of ebay (315) for a couple hundred bucks, a vw back-up cam (the cheap units didn’t have the right connectors for the 315), and a cheap (ebay) nav GPS unit for ~$15. Called the dealer for the unlock code (with the original car’s VIN), and everything was plug and play...aside from running the wires, everything was super simple...

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I got a 2012 jetta tdi...the base model. I bought a nav radio off of ebay (315) for a couple hundred bucks, a vw back-up cam (the cheap units didn’t have the right connectors for the 315), and a cheap (ebay) nav GPS unit for ~$15. Called the dealer for the unlock code (with the original car’s VIN), and everything was plug and play...aside from running the wires, everything was super simple...
Same thing here for my ‘13 beetle, no back up camera yet. I attached the nav antenna to the underside of the dash.