The hunt for center console cup holders...

03 shaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL
My car has the in dash, pop out style cup holders. I really want the later style center console cup holders.
I ordered this https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...nsole-conversion-pure-beige/1j0863323ac7r3kt/ about a month ago but recently they told me there's no ETA.
So, I'm asking, does anyone online carry these anymore?
And I've searched here and found several old threads but even those didn't have a good lead for the time.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Don't know about online, I've always found them at wrecking yards. Already hard to find, as they only made them for two years. Just helped a buddy retrofit a gray one into his car last weekend.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
There are 12 currently listed on ebay. Use the generic serach p/n and then use the picture to choose the color (the color suffix sometimes changes or the seller doesn't add it). I searched under 1J0863323. IIRC, they were available for more than 2 years across platforms- they replaced the in-dash cupholders in 2003, and continued in both the US MkIV G & J until the MkV, and continued even further in the City Golf and City Jetta in Canada. They are also available from the Chinese market (OEM) and Eastern Europe (OE). Ebay de also has them.

03 shaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Thanks for the response. I guess I'll try the Ebay route. I just really wanted a new part.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can find new stock on ebay, just have to be patient. Check German ebay every so often, too, or VW online sources.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I understand the desire for brand new interior parts. I replaced my steering wheel, shifter and ebrake with brand new old-stock made in Germany, with genuine leather. The car feels new at all the touch points. That soft-touch interior plastic definitely shows the age.
Cascade German has a some brand new beige items, I don’t see a cup holder though. Check out their eBay store:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-VW...m=301256735416&_trksid=p2349624.c100891.m5206
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-EURO-V...eige-Set-Round-99-05-/302732902381?nav=SEARCH
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GENUIN...e-Hand-Parking-Cover-/302045666800?nav=SEARCH

03 shaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL
I went ahead and ordered a console on Ebay. It shipped today so I'll update when I get it. The one I ordered looked in a lot better shape than some on there, so we'll see.
I understand the desire for brand new interior parts. I replaced my steering wheel, shifter and ebrake with brand new old-stock made in Germany, with genuine leather. The car feels new at all the touch points. That soft-touch interior plastic definitely shows the age.
Cascade German has a some brand new beige items, I don’t see a cup holder though. Check out their eBay store:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-VW...m=301256735416&_trksid=p2349624.c100891.m5206
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-EURO-V...eige-Set-Round-99-05-/302732902381?nav=SEARCH
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GENUIN...e-Hand-Parking-Cover-/302045666800?nav=SEARCH
Hmm, I'd love to replace basically all the interior parts in my car. Grab handles, ash tray area. All of it new. Who knows if I'll get to it, but it would make it feel so much better inside...
I just purchased this 2 weeks ago and I'm very satisfied. 4.4 star rated. BTW only $27.99!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJWW7GO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are the stock cup holders I have now, and they do work. I just hate how they look and want the cup holders down by the e brake.

Nyk

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Hmm, I'd love to replace basically all the interior parts in my car. Grab handles, ash tray area. All of it new. Who knows if I'll get to it, but it would make it feel so much better inside...
I did this about a year ago to my VW not too long after I got it. I bought a kit off Amazon (the Canadian version) that replaced all the handles with new plastics. The old ones had all that soft rubberized coating all chewed up, and the difference was very noticeable.

Well worth it.

Old:

New:

03 shaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL
^^^ Very nice upgrade for sure. I've had the headliner replaced and had the door cards redone at the same time. That made a huge difference. I definitely need to fix up the rest of the interior.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Anything tricky about the headliner? I have to cut into mine to repair the rear washer hose and try to fix the sunroof drains.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anything tricky about the headliner? I have to cut into mine to repair the rear washer hose and try to fix the sunroof drains.
For your Golf, you're much better off lowering or removing the headliner rather than cutting into it. Not only won't you be tearing up the material, but you'll have more room to work and better visibility.

The OE sunroof drain tubes can be replaced with clear HVAC tubing that has a better ID for water flow (and doesn't kink or close as easily). The rear washer hose usually leaks behind the Golf hatch cover, which is accessed differently than from the headliner.

A search will reveal more good info. This thread has some helpers:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=410998

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Is installing these cup holders a simple deal,or would I have to tear apart the dash? I'd like to add these to along with my cup holders next to the parking brake.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Is installing these cup holders a simple deal,or would I have to tear apart the dash? I'd like to add these to along with my cup holders next to the parking brake.
Direct bolt in. Just take the old center console out, put nre one in. No dash pulling required.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
For your Golf, you're much better off lowering or removing the headliner rather than cutting into it. Not only won't you be tearing up the material, but you'll have more room to work and better visibility.

The OE sunroof drain tubes can be replaced with clear HVAC tubing that has a better ID for water flow (and doesn't kink or close as easily). The rear washer hose usually leaks behind the Golf hatch cover, which is accessed differently than from the headliner.

A search will reveal more good info. This thread has some helpers:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=410998
Thanks, I've tried removing the headliner (and other interior trim parts) and it never goes well, at the last minute there's always some single-use plastic clip or hidden screw, and the 17 year old fatigued plastic breaks. This is the kind of thing, like trying to unbolt a muffler or other rusted bolt, that just doesn't work for me.

My rear washer hose split due to the water in it freezing, so I have to get in there and replace the whole line or do some kind of splice.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not in Worcester right now, but I can certainly help once I'm back in the Northeast. The headliner is actually less work than removing the rear plastics (if you have Monsoon).

03 shaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Well, last night I finished up installing the center console cup holders and overall I'm happy with them. Got it off Ebay and really liked how it looked in the box. Seemed new. When I put it in the car I broke one tab, my fault but seemed to break pretty easily. Like it was an old interior piece. Oh well. It's in the car. Finally.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
That site has no center consoles at all when I searched. I checked eBay and they all looked like the tabs would break and then there would be another squeaky rubbing noise. If I go for a center console cup holder I’ll probably try a generic (one for all) style from a flaps.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I swapped one into all 3 (or is it4) Jetta wagons I've owned over the years. My focus was on function, not aesthetics, so I didn't mind if they were a little scuffed/scraped.

I may even have a spare one in the garage somewhere, but shipping them has gotten too expensive with dimensional rates :(

I'd suggest watching your local self server salvage yard or craigslist.

Deadend

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I've got one a cupholder / center armrest and rear ashtray delete console on the way from eBay.

The thing turned out to be a major investment... Better side of $100, and then an additional $100 to ship to Canada! None of the eBay sellers ship to Canada so I had to have it drop shipped and forwarded. Anyone in the US should only have to pay half what I did however.

I got a carplay head unit a few months ago though, so the fold out cup holders not only mucked it up, but also would cover up the screen.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
I got my cupholder center piece at the local JY. They're out there. You just gotta keep an eye out for new arrivals. LKQ, if one near you, can send you notifications about their new acquisitions. You gotta hit them up quickly. I would be concerned with fitment issues with those on Ebay. With those at the JY, you'll know they're originals. Got a nice leather e-brake handle at the same time.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Tho rare, I'd think they're standard to gas/diesel standard/auto.
$200+ is too much, try car-part.com they cover all of North America.

Deadend

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Tho rare, I'd think they're standard to gas/diesel standard/auto.
$200+ is too much, try car-part.com they cover all of North America.
Oh absolutely, I got hosed. But hey being the US you could have bought this thing for half that... which is still alot.

Consider $100 the ceiling price, they seem to go for that on Ebay and there are a few of them. If you want a bargain on this part you have to play a game of wrecking yard surveillance for the "city" jettas and golfs.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
If you want a bargain on this part you have to play a game of wrecking yard surveillance for the "city" jettas and golfs.
ABSOLUTELY! I got mine for $15ish during a 40% off day at the yard...with a working sliding rear cup holder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
So I’ve been without a center console for about 2 years, I wasn’t interested in re-installing the brittle, sticky, old one with no cup holders. It took me all this time but I found one for $115 shipped in mint condition. It is old but was perfect until I installed it, the interior plastic parts break every time. It works great and It included a leather parking brake handle too. They’re on the vortex classifieds

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
5 years ago they were still available new (which is when I changed my center console). At about the 10 year mark after production or sooner, the supply of these body-specific parts dries out. I've had mixed success getting body seals now (having had to import parts from Europe and still not finding all the ones I want). I'd advise investing in anything you want replaced before it's all gone if you plan to keep the car even longer-term.

Last edited:

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Will you post it here if you know where to get driver side felt drip molding on 4 door golf? I got passenger side but driver is nla