NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Are there any Roadkill fans here on TDIclub? Have you heard about this:

Hell on Wheels: Retreat from Moscow Rally

Jan. 31-Feb 3, 2017

Moscow PA > Buffalo > Memphis > Paris TN

They claim they will be filming an episode of Roadkill during this rally and there are only 32 cars registered, one of which is David Frieburgers!

Will post updates here, and on my facebook page: Santos Speed Shop & Day Care

Event Details here: https://www.24hoursoflemons.com/rally

and here: http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/lemons-moscow-to-paris-rally-quality-inn-368845?utm_medium=email&amp%3Butm_source=motorsportreg&amp%3Butm_campaign=EmailRegReceipt

Last edited:

tdi_allan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2003 Jetta Sedan (Lemons racer), 2010 Touareg
I did the inaugural Lemons rally in August, and my co-driver and I will be there for the winter version as well, highly recommended. I also recommend 24 Hours of LeMons racing, I'll be starting my 4th season this April at Gingerman Raceway in Michigan (not in a TDI, sadly.)

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Hi Allan! I've been enjoying the pictures and articles written about LeMONS racing but haven't even attended an event yet. I have a vehicle in mind for a "full racecar" conversion, but it is currently being driven by my wife's grandmother and is owned by wife's grandfather. I've been maintaining the car, and the grandparents, at our home for more than a year now. Grandpa knows how much I like his car and I've told him that I would take care of it if he ever wanted to get rid of it, but it doesn't sound like will give it up as long as it is roadworthy.

Its a '97 Plymouth Neon:

In this picture we had to take the intake completely off to get at a rotted steel coolant line and replace it with rust-proof rubber hose. A satisfying little job, which took me all day. When grandpa asked how much I would charge him I said I only used about $10 worth of hose. It was nice to spend time working on something different with Grandpa.

The Moscow to Paris Rally ends at the first LeMONS race of the year: https://www.24hoursoflemons.com/events-results/179-shine-country-classic

I'm looking forward to spectating before starting the 14 hour (split over two days) journey home!

'Shine Country Classic

04 February 2017 - 05 February 2017

Barber Motorsports Park, Leeds AL

Last edited:

tdi_allan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2003 Jetta Sedan (Lemons racer), 2010 Touareg
Paul,
Neons do well in Lemons, have seen a few pretty quick ones. Parts are relatively cheap and fairly easy to find. I'd say find your own $500 example and go for it, you don't want to tell your grandparents your plans for their car! :) Our team now has three cars to choose from: a 94 Civic (good for the same reason Neons are), an 86 Volvo 240 wagon (brought to us by one of our new team members), and an 86 Subaru XT (speaks for itself).
As far as the rally goes, we have a 10-ish hour drive to PA, and a 10.5-ish hour drive back to Chicago. I have to be back bright and early that Monday so I will not be spending a lot of time at the track. Looking forward to meeting you at the rally!

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Yeah I probably wouldn't race their neon while they are still around to see it, they've had the car for 15 years are both rather fond of it. Its just dreaming really, if I were to prepare a race car it would be fun to take a car that has LITERALLY been driven once a week by a little old lady.

Looking forward to meeting you too, Allan!

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
NarfBlast,

This sounds really cool. I can't do it this year, but might try to do it next year if I remember and have time.

Eric

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Update: Time to start preparing.

I can't do it this year, but might try to do it next year if I remember and have time.

Eric
Hi Eric! I think it was one of your posts that that inspired (re-assured) me to (that) I could build my own rear shock extensions to go with my Jetta wagon rear springs! Thanks for that little push in the right direction on a little project that has given no-regrets since! Still loving the extra (clunk free) lift.

This rally grabbed me as one of "things I should do"... it took a few nights to convince myself it was something I needed to do.

My wife, who pays for me to stay and make home for the kids, was easier to convince. She recognized immediately that I had to do this rally. She knows how much I love Roadkill (the show). She also knows how much deep and restorative healing I get from extremely long drives. She started re-arranging her schedule for the week of the Rally a couple of nights after I started debating on weather I should go.

Now that the holidays are over, I've really started researching themes and mascots for this rally. I've been watching lemons racing recap videos all weekend. Tonight I carefully studied the Rally Recap from last year: http://www.roadkill.com/lemons-rally-recap/

I am pretty sure I am just going to be myself and go with the "Santos Speed Shop & Day Care" theme. I plan to bolt a pair of matching expired baby bucket seats to the roof rack and put a 20L jerry can of diesel in one and gasoline in the other, to start. I told my wife about this and she wondered if I would draw attention from police to which I responded, "That is the beauty of it! You get points for being pulled over if you have a good story!"

I brainstormed with her about bring my trailer and having broken kids outdoor toys rolling around in it to go with the theme. She quickly warned that would get me into the "creepy valley" where things got a bit too real and it would make people wonder if I had lost my kids or had some other kind of depressing or disturbing story. I agreed. Will try and keep it out of the creepy valley.

Still working on details of the theme and mascot. Will post pictures.

Thankfully the only maintenance that needs done is an oil change and possibly exhaust work to fix a leak, so far.

Last edited:

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Paul,

Yea, I remember your posts over on the 2" lift thread. That's one of the best things I've done with my 2005 Beetle. I have a small 4x8 utility trailer I tow with my Beetle and also have a 13' Scamp that I towed home from Ohio. I still got 35 mpg towing the Scamp home.

A couple years ago I went on part of the HotRod power tour with my Dad and one of my brothers. It was a week long tour, but we broke down in Memphis after three days. We were driving a 1965 olds 98 convertible. Blew a head gasket.

This sounds an interesting (and cool) tour! I'll have to put a note in my calendar to look for it next year.

If you do go (which it sounds like you are) please post some pics and how the tour was.

Eric

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
This sounds an interesting (and cool) tour! I'll have to put a note in my calendar to look for it next year.

If you do go (which it sounds like you are) please post some pics and how the tour was.

Eric
I've heard about Power Tour from the Hot Rod and Roadkill YouTube channels. Sounds like an awesome way to get out on the road. That is great that you could do it with your family.

I find out about these events by following the official Roadkill and LeMONS pages on Facebook. That is also where I got motivated to install a CB radio for this trip.

I found a mascot, and it is awesome - pictures soon.

I will definitely post the most detailed daily updates here, with shorter, more frequent updates on my Facebook page.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
Good luck on the rally, as one of the few in the country that runs a true VW TDI in Lemon/Chump road racing group. There is nothing like it a lot of fun

Here we are a WG coming in to turn 1# at 120MPH

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Rally Prepartions Update

Only ten more sleeps!

The car is as "ready as its going to get". Recently the oil has been changed and the exhaust flex pipe replaced. Last month the fuel and air filters were replaced. Extra fluids will be packed along with tools and spare coolant hoses; have had a rash of coolant hoses popping recently.

There are many other little maintenance items that the car arguably needs but I am NOT addressing before the rally:

- very slow coolant leak that I haven't been able to find since last spring
- injector seal that only causes a minor "put-put" sound under hard lugging (which should be avoided anyway) already replaced seal on that cylinder once since installing new injectors
- power steering pump is getting noisy
- horrible rattles and squeaks from belts for a few seconds when cold, only happened once
- transmission mount is floppy, possibly breaking exhaust flex pipes
- timing belt is overdue, and when it was last changed (over 160,000 km ago!) my local guru and I found that the aluminum motor mount bolt hole threads looked bad
- cam wear noticed during last timing belt change
- running on barely-legal tread-depth used winter tires
- rust has started in the floor panels enlarging the rear foot well drain holes.
- injection pump weeps diesel
- vacuum pump leaks oil
- transmission fill plug seems to be leaking fluid
- back of engine has oil everywhere, been like that for years, could be the valve cover, intake manifold, who knows, who cares

The only thing that doesn't leak is brake fluid!

WOW! It was good to get that off my chest. I hope the organizers agree that this car is not worth more than $500 considering that list. The timing of this Rally is perfect! Extra points are scored for roadside repairs and junkyard parts gained en-route. I've owned this car since new and lately my philosophy has been: "it should go out with a bang, not a whimper."

With all the mechanical concerns pushed aside, I turned my attention to some key requirements of this Rally:

CB Radio:
Rumours are that Frieburger and Finnegan will have one, so I had to have one. Mounted mine on top of my ScanguageII:

Rediculous Theme: Santos Speed Shop and Day Care. Will also try to add a set of four bald tires on the front half of the roof rack in case of cross-border shopping opportunity and to add to the effect:

Mascot: Pinky!

Last edited:

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
Paul,

Looks great!!! I like the gas tank holders....

Eric

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Paul,

Looks great!!! I like the gas tank holders....

Eric
Thanks! They have expired so I wouldn't dare even give them away to another parent lest their insurance company refuse to cover something if they were involved in a crash. Otherwise they are perfectly sturdy and should keep the gas cans in place, with a tie down strap thru the handles.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Only three more sleeps!

I am beside myself with excitement and anticipation.

My wife's Grandmother, which would be my kids GREAT Grandmother (they call her Nana, but I call her Hazel because she is my Grandma-in-law and I met her before I married her grand-daughter, anywho) she helped me complete the final touch of the NarfMOBILE's ridiculous theme...

LeMON FUEL CAN COZIES!!!

The handles sticking out the top of the lemons are not just handles, they are also roll bars! A tribute to the roll cages that must be properly installed to go racing in the 24 Hours of LeMONS.

The detail is awesome close up because apparently Hazel and I share the same kind of obsessive compulsive disorder. I brought her the idea, the materials, and built the wire frame and "stem" for the leaves, and she went full tilt on the sewing. I should get her to look at the hole in my drivers seat bolster, anyway...

They also look great from further away:

You care barely make out in the first close-up photo the stroller on top of the two tires at the front of the roof rack. That combined with the "Santos Speed shop and Day Care" magnet door sign are my idea of a "theme" while also being "ridiculous".

Yes, I have considered the possibility that police and/or busy-bodies will pull me over and ask if there are live babies inside the roof mounted baby seats. I am fully prepared to laugh and re-assure them that these former baby carriers have been harmlessly re-purposed to carry gasoline and diesel fuel.

I am hoping to score bonus points for "arrests with good stories".

I just can't believe how perfect the "shadowed yellow" fleece fabric worked out. This is only the second time I have purchased fabric in my life, the first time was in the mid 90's when I purchased several yards of navy blue fun-fur to replace the headliner for my first car, an '86 Chevy Blazer. That also turned out amazing. I should learn to sew.

Yes, I tested my fleecy lemons at highway speeds and nothing moved, except for one corner that was only tucked, and not sewn, in to place. Nana did an amazing job. They should last 3000 miles (or 5 megameters) with no problem that a safety pin here or there can't fix.

Now I just need to finish packing!

Almost forgot, the Roadkill guys posted an update:
Preview Some of the Great Cars and Fools on the ‘Retreat From Moscow’ LeMons Rally

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
subscribed. Good luck!!

What day will you guys go through Memphis?

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
What Happened on the Frist LeMONS Winter Rally Anyway?

Its over. I guess I'd better post an update. Lets make it a mock interview

Q: What happened?
A: They made us drive for 12 hours a day.

Q: How was it?
A: Awesome. We ate, slept, and drove.

Q: Did you meet the guys from Roadkill?
A: Nope. I saw them, but they always had a film crew entourage and there was no official meet and greet.

Q: How was The Tail of the Dragon?
A: Meh, not bad, I guess I can say I've driven it now. Might be more fun on a motorcycle. Definitely a thrill ride if you are into that sort of thing. It was kind of a bummer that Killboy takes winters off so I didn't get any photos of my car carving the corners.

Q: What was it like to drive the whole Rally alone?
A: It was at times relaxing but at other times it was exciting because I had to be the driver, the navigator, the radio operator and the social media coordinator. The CB radio really enhanced the whole experience. From meeting people in lemons around you, to coordinating convoys, to finding checkpoints, to just chatting; the CB radio was tonnes of fun and kept me connected to the vehicles and people around me.

Q: Social media coordinator?
A: We earned points by uploading checkpoints and other photos and videos to the Lemons Rally Facebook page. Between Facebook and navigating I spent at least two hours online each day trying to find routes and score points on top of the 12 hours of driving.

Q: Sounds brutal.
A: Brutally awesome.

Q: What was your favorite part?
A: The Waffle House challenge really did a number on me. We had to visit six different Waffle Houses and purchase two waffles at each one. We were told we would need the waffles for two separate challenges at the end of the day.

The best part of 56 cars with LeMONS Rally stickers on them visiting 6 out of 60 Waffle Houses in one day along one single stretch of highway was that we became celebrities. We would pull into a Waffle House and the staff would know who you were and what you wanted. That was really cool.

I figured that one of the challenges would have to be "throwing for distance" so I spent 30 minutes rigging up, testing, and uploading the video this incredible Anti-Gravity Waffle Device:

At one point late in the afternoon, when I had just one more Waffle House to Visit, with ten waffles spread across my dashboard, something strange happened: I started laughing. I laughed out loud by myself in the car until I started crying. Then I pulled myself together (I was doing 70 mph) and kept driving. I had to make to that last waffle house then to Memphis for 8pm.

Unfortunately I was 20 minutes late for the contest - missing it completely. Later I heard that the winning waffle "caught the air just perfectly and sailed the furthest" which is exactly what ALL of my waffles would have done because they were perfectly dried to a crisp on the outside, perfectly flat, and perfectly moist and dense on the inside. I was very annoyed at myself for failing to realize that I was supposed to park at the hotel and walk to the meeting place in downtown Memphis where the waffle throwing contest was taking place. It was rough day, I was hungry and confused driving around with a dozen giant waffles on my dashboard looking for a parking place in a very busy downtown. It was ridiculous.

My other favorite part was when I was deputized by a police investigator outside of a cemetery just after dark.

Also, we got to drive two laps in our own cars at Barber Motor Sports park. That was awesome. I'm still waiting for pictures or videos from that.

Q: How did you do on points anyway?
A: I came in 23rd and I am very happy with that. I hit every checkpoint - which was extremely important for those of us in cars which didn't get big points on initial inspection. It was a tight race for the "unexceptional" cars. The cars that scored high on initial inspection deserved all those extra points.

Q: Was there any media coverage?
A: Not really, just on Roadkill's website:

Day 0: http://www.roadkill.com/lemons-rally-early-arrivals/

Day 1: http://www.roadkill.com/lemons-retreat-from-moscow-rally-day-1/

Day 2: http://www.roadkill.com/lemons-wint...moscow-day-2-and-unofficial-points-standings/

Day 3: http://www.roadkill.com/lemons-winter-rally-2017-retreat-from-moscow-day-3-fail-of-the-dragon/

Day 4: http://www.roadkill.com/lemons-winter-rally-retreat-moscow/

They only took one photo of my car, but it was a good one:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Also, we got to drive two laps in our own cars at Barber Motor Sports park. That was awesome. I'm still waiting for pictures or videos from that.

It is summer now, and I never did find any video of the LeMONS Rally pace laps, but that is okay.

I did just re-watch the two season opening recap videos from LeMONS HQ which are really awesome and really give a great "feel" of what LeMONS is all about...

If you haven't watched these already, highly recommended:

8:15 LeMons Wrapup-Retreat From Moscow Rally '17

9:04 LeMons Wrapup-Barber '17

Good times.

Last edited: