Not happy with my fix.

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se
Got my fix done yesterday. Car seems to have more turbo lag, trans doesn't shift firm and less pep. Also mpg went down 2-3. Used to get 38-40 going to work. Now I'm at 35.4mpg. So with that being said I'll be getting a custom tune. Who do you'll recommend?

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Before you get a tune, contact VWoA and state your concern about the issues you are having. They're trying to get the kinks worked out of the fix and were receptive according to another TDIClub'er.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
What he said ^

Increased turbo lag is an expected side-effect of the fix due to the changes made to combustion characteristics to make the engine produce less NOx. These changes will also increase soot production, which will result in more frequent DPF regenerations.

It's worth mentioning to VW to see if they can get things dialed in a little better.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Jeff at Rocketchip says the high EGR flow at low revs contributes to the soft response, or what feels like turbo lag. I can attest that a tune helps that, although it doesn't go away entirely. I doubt VW will be able to significantly improve response within the confines of the emissions targets.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Rocketchip Stage 2. It still has a bit of the softness on tip-in, noticeable when switching to the '15 from my modified '02. Or the BMW, which is stupid powerful with its tune. But after a mile or two I adjust and it's not noticeable. Otherwise the power bump is very nice.