ACTUAL purchases of '15 USED (buyback) TDIs

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Not a lot of those left. Good luck.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Have been looking at used Sportwagen TDIs around here, but the dealers are treating them like gold plated chariots.
Dealers are marking up the SEs or SELs to $4-$5 above KBB value and then refusing the budge more than a few hundred dollars.
I literally had a dealer tell me today they won't sell theirs for less than $500 off asking, and that was for a '15 SEL with 20,000 miles on it. $27k and they won't budge. Amazing. Maybe it's just too early and there aren't enough getting on to the lots. With that kind of sales strategy, I'll be looking solely for "new" '15 TDIs.
New ones -- Old ones

Demand is high(er) than the supply ~~ for now at least:D

eparker202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible 6MT TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible 6MT

I am picking up a used 2015 TDI BB, 15k miles today! Comes with the remainder of the factory warranties 3yr/36kmi bumper to bumber, 5yr/60kmi power-train, then a 2yr/24kmi CPO bumper to bumper. Also, the phase 1 fix warranty 5yr/60kmi. $23201

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
11Y/162K , they are confused. It is court-imposed and cant be changed.
And dont forget free/new DPF/Cat assy next year, and may be another one
before 150K miles.

Welcome to the "We aint gots nuttin to worry about" club.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
11Y/162K , they are confused. It is court-imposed and cant be changed.

And dont forget free/new DPF/Cat assy next year, and may be another one
before 150K miles.

Welcome to the "We aint gots nuttin to worry about" club.
Feel set for life.

Taking the fix, rather than the BB, has one other (approx) $1,000 advantage. (for me in Okieville) I do not have to pay for a new car TT&L + fees. :D

Additionally, after I get the fix money, my sf insurance risk, in case of a bad situation, is ameliorated, somewhat.

jharty

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI GLS
Put a downpayment on a 2015 Golf S TDI 6MT with 41k miles, ~18300 out the door.

VW Certified, 2/24 b2b

There is some cosmetic issues (scratched mirror housings and gouge in rear fender. Also a dent in the passenger side under the door, seems like a plastic runner.) they are cleaning/resolving those before I get it.

I am told that the First fix was done (software), but a second fix (physical exhaust) will be done next year.

My questions would be for anyone who can answer them:
Considering: I am currently in a 2002 Jetta TDI purchased new, had very few issues for the amount of actual driving done with a heretical 79k miles.

With the Car having 41k miles, outside the standard service (items) intervals etc, going forward what should I look for in the near term (like i need to increase my long haul driving to burn through the emissions).

Note:
After test driving a 2017 TSi, my preference is reaffirmed again on the Diesel Engine.

This GOLF seems a bit more 'snug' than my old jetta, seats are a skootch narrower. I almost felt claustrophobic and I'm 5'8".

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI

VW Certified, 2/24 b2b

There is some cosmetic issues (scratched mirror housings and gouge in rear fender. Also a dent in the passenger side under the door, seems like a plastic runner.) they are cleaning/resolving those before I get it.

I am told that the First fix was done (software), but a second fix (physical exhaust) will be done next year.

Considering: I am currently in a 2002 Jetta TDI purchased new, had very few issues for the amount of actual driving done with a heretical 79k miles.

With the Car having 41k miles, outside the standard service (items) intervals etc, going forward what should I look for in the near term (like i need to increase my long haul driving to burn through the emissions).

Note:
After test driving a 2017 TSi, my preference is reaffirmed again on the Diesel Engine.

This GOLF seems a bit more 'snug' than my old jetta, seats are a skootch narrower. I almost felt claustrophobic and I'm 5'8".
Wait, 2002-2017 and 79k miles?!?

Why would you waste money on a TDI? You don't need to spend more cash to buy a high mpg vehicle. Heck buy a used Corvette or something! (j/k) but seriously, maybe a full electric would be even better for you.

jharty

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI GLS
Wait, 2002-2017 and 79k miles?!?

Why would you waste money on a TDI? You don't need to spend more cash to buy a high mpg vehicle. Heck buy a used Corvette or something! (j/k) but seriously, maybe a full electric would be even better for you.
I am a Lifetime VW Diesel Engine Driver (most used), from a 83 (burnt oil, young and killed engine) 85' diesel (ran it for several years) 91' tdi, best beater car, till I bought a 2k2 brand new.

The electric cars are to high a price for me to get involved in those, long term battery replacements are annoying, charging stations are slow if you can find them, retrofit a house with a high speed charging Still doesn't give you much range IF I were to go on a once in a while long trip etc etc.

Once upon a time I did actually have to drive my car to work and racked up alot of milage, but then I got a job 1 mile from home, and walked to work for 5 years etc etc.

Add to that, there is a possibility I will be making longer daily hauls or my wife will due to school or job change due to school, so it is an investment in a future that could occur.

*shrug* and I like diesels, will last as long as I want the car, test drove a tsi hated it, driven a few other gas engines, don't like them either. A honda Civic Hybrid 2003 also isn't to my liking but then that is old tech, im sure the electrics are better now, but too pricey

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Although driving a lot of miles may be a requirement to showing a savings over driving a gasoline car, it's not a requirement for driving a diesel. Many of us just prefer to drive a diesel, regardless of the economics.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Also I towed a 10 foot Aluma flatbed trailer with my last 2 Jetta TDI's, my 2013 Passat, and now my 2015 Passat. The trailer weighs 480 lbs, with a gross wt of 2,000 lbs. The heaviest thing I load on it is my Harley. Can do this with an electric vehicle. So tha would not work for me.

steves96tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6sp, 2003 Jetta TDI GLS 5 sp, 2014 Passat SE 6sp VW Buy Back
Although driving a lot of miles may be a requirement to showing a savings over driving a gasoline car, it's not a requirement for driving a diesel. Many of us just prefer to drive a diesel, regardless of the economics.
Amen,
Love that torque!:)

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Also I towed a 10 foot Aluma flatbed trailer with my last 2 Jetta TDI's, my 2013 Passat, and now my 2015 Passat. The trailer weighs 480 lbs, with a gross wt of 2,000 lbs. The heaviest thing I load on it is my Harley. Can do this with an electric vehicle. So tha would not work for me.
Not trying to change your mind, but there are plenty of people who tow with EVs. Range positively sucks when towing though. Actually saw an Airstream being towed by a Model X a couple of months back. Now that's a combo that's way too rich for my blood!

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
My point, sure you can tow with EV, but if you can't get anywhere due to the range sucking, what good is it? Someday the technology will get there, but it is not there today. Also the electricity to charge all the EV has to come from some where. We are lucky here in the NW, our power comes from clean Hydro. But in other areas of the country, if you have to burn more hydrocarbons to generate all the extra power to charge all the EV's, are we any farther ahead with pollution going into the air? I don't have the answer.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW

VW Certified, 2/24 b2b

Note:

Trying to get this thread back on track. How did EV's get in here?

NICE purchase from a fellow NH driver. Did you work with an NH dealer on this one? Was it on the lot or did they bring it in for you from one of these mystical car lots full of TDI's?

I am disappointed to see that the fixed cars are selling for more money than the brand new ones. I really didn't expect that.

jharty

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI GLS
Trying to get this thread back on track. How did EV's get in here?

NICE purchase from a fellow NH driver. Did you work with an NH dealer on this one? Was it on the lot or did they bring it in for you from one of these mystical car lots full of TDI's?

I am disappointed to see that the fixed cars are selling for more money than the brand new ones. I really didn't expect that.
Purchasing in NH, lowest price I see advertised from any dealer, but the most milage I seen on any of them as well.

Edit: Looking at carguru.com has a 600+ golf tdi's listed, and widely varying prices, *sigh* wish I was near that one for 15k

Emailed salesman when I saw it and was ready to check it out, he said it was available to test drive and I test drove it. without any long delays etc.

Salesman claimed were they were on a list to get the ones they got for a year. Theoretically they have 2(mine and a 36k milage one), but claims 1 of them there may be issues with, in talks with VW about it and 'may not keep it' after going 'back and forth with vw'. Same price.

Last edited:

SoCalKev

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
I just bought a 2015 GSW SE with 24,000 miles from a VW dealership in Southern California. I was out the door for $21,900, which I think is pretty good for the SE. It's titanium grey and in great condition.

I'm definitely a novice compared to the average member here (probably something even lower than novice). I hadn't been keeping up with things since I sold back my 2013 JSW in December. About a week ago I just decided I missed my TDI so much that I wanted another one.
I was reading about the phase II fix and how people are saying owners will be eligible for 1/3 of a payout after that fix is completed. Is this true even for cars that were bought CPO from a VW dealership and had been bb previously? I apologize if this has been specifically addressed but I couldn't find it.

Last edited:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
So far the consensus is: NYET !
AAMOF VW wont release the title to dealer till they prove the stage 1 has been applied.

But, in reality, we will see when it comes to it, next year, when Phase II is ready. New cat/DPF + car wash ?
Sign me up :) !

Last edited:

Don Splaun

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
My son bought a turned in 2015 Passat TDI SE manual for $16 out the door (were asking 21). With in 3 weeks had starting issues. they determined the injectors were leaking and that the lift pump at the tank was bad. All was repaired under the new 11 year or 162K mile warranty. VW list on the parts was over $3K. All is good now.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My son bought a turned in 2015 Passat TDI SE manual for $16 out the door (were asking 21). With in 3 weeks had starting issues. they determined the injectors were leaking and that the lift pump at the tank was bad. All was repaired under the new 11 year or 162K mile warranty. VW list on the parts was over $3K. All is good now.

I personally valued the 11 year, 162,000 mile warranty at $3,000

Maybe I should revalue it a little more. :p

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
just think if a pump had gone
IMO, the warranty is the best on the planet.

I can see cases where VW will shell out $10,000 (or more) on a single TDI in the next decade.

And it is free. All one needs to do, is not MOD it.

And it is transferable to new owners. This alone will support the re-sale value

Each to his own.

Happy motoring ~~ to all.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
My Beautiful 2015 Jetta SEL TDI all options and a Stick shift was for sale for several months and no one wanted it ....they would rather buy one from VW that had been sitting for 2 years....amazing....

eutecticpt

TDI
2004 Jetta
Looking at a 2015 Golf Sport Wagon with 17,000 miles and a six speed manual for $21000. Fair price? Phase 2 of the emission modifications has me spooked a bit. Any thoughts out there? I think that Phase 2 is not mandatory, but you lose a good bit of warranty

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looking at a 2015 Golf Sport Wagon with 17,000 miles and a six speed manual for $21000. Fair price? Phase 2 of the emission modifications has me spooked a bit. Any thoughts out there? I think that Phase 2 is not mandatory, but you lose a good bit of warranty

It (the warranty) will be gone down the drain.

Miles and miles, years and years.

So will the transferable issue if the warranty, if you want to sell it.