Please Help with clutch selection on a 6-speed swap with upgrades

bmw m3 s50

Veteran Member
TDI
mkV
So, I purchased a DC SMF stage 2 clutch kit when I did a 6 speed trans swap into my car. I have a 2006 Jetta 1.9 BRM car. The DC clutch was fine for about a 6 months to about a year until I started having problems with really really bad clattering on slow take offs from a stop. All other times it fine driving just slow take offs from stop such as traffic light or stop sign. Then shortly after the car would not go into reverse if the motor was running, but would go into reverse if the car was shut off. I parked the car and finally got around to pulling the trans and found the clutch had come apart. Now, I find myself needing a new clutch possibly a flywheel.

It got interesting when speaking to someone, I was told that 6 speeds should not be using a SMF because it particularly hard on the 6 speed transmission synchros and on the gearbox it self. I was brought up to believe and through my research that the SMF was the way to go on a car with power upgrades. Is this true the 6-speeds should use the DMF over the single?

Which clutch flywheel should I select to use. I am tried of having problems with this car and it supposed to be a daily driver?

My power mods are:

PD 150 injectors
GTB 1749V turbo upgrade
2.5" full exhaust turbo back
RC stage 2 tune

Please any suggestions would be of great help.

Thanks

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
In your case, what you posted doesn't point to the transmission as the culprit, it points to the clutch. Difficulty going into gear with the engine running usually means the clutch is not releasing completely.
What puzzles me is that you said the clutch "came apart". Do you have pics or can you describe what parts of the clutch failed? I would suspect the following:
  • Defective clutch
  • Disintegrated throwout bearing
  • Broken release fork
  • Improperly installed clutch
  • Severe abuse to the clutch from drag racing, burnouts etc
For power upgrades, the 5 speed is the way to go because it is of a more robust design with more robust syncros and handles SMF's well. Beside that, the extra gear in a 6 speed is just about worthless unless you just like to shift more often. Definitely not worth the cost of a conversion.

If you still have the 5 speed and it isn't damaged, I would put that back in with a "Quiet clutch" SMF if they make one in stage 2 or stage 3 if not, the DC clutches are fine.

Last edited: