Am I gonna get pulled over if I do this?

luke.weiser

TDI
1998 Jetta MK3

Just bought 5 feet of pipe and a flapper, but before I loose my receipt, Is doing this to a car even legal?
Maine state law only talks about noise ratings, and as far as interfering with break lights goes, I think it'll still be visible from 100+ feet, just a lil bit blocked.

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Assuming the CAT is still on the car you can do anything you want back from it. People who put in straight pipes have put videos of the turbo whine that resonates in the pipe. Not loud just a little screaming.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
A more pertinent question would be why on earth would you want to do this? Seems like the only purpose it serves is to obstruct your access to the trunk...

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd

Just bought 5 feet of pipe and a flapper, but before I loose my receipt, Is doing this to a car even legal?
Maine state law only talks about noise ratings, and as far as interfering with break lights goes, I think it'll still be visible from 100+ feet, just a lil bit blocked.

It's your car, I don't see any issues that should get you pulled over.

Bajan

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Assuming that up-pipe is welded (no clamp) you should be alright.

Most DOT regulations are that the exhaust needs to exit past the perimeter of the car - yours (although silly looking) meets that requirement.

luke.weiser

TDI
1998 Jetta MK3

Finished it in 30 minutes, mostly from scraps. whatta you guys think?
Ps If you cant see this tinyyyyyyyy thumbnail and wanna see it big just search Jetta_stack in TDI club photos. cant figure out how to make it big.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG

Finished it in 30 minutes, mostly from scraps. whatta you guys think?
Ps If you cant see this tinyyyyyyyy thumbnail and wanna see it big just search Jetta_stack in TDI club photos. cant figure out how to make it big.
I think it looks stupid/childish but you asked what do I think.:D

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I still want to know: why? Do you actuallly think this looks cool, or is there an actual purpose (other than looking really stupid . . . at least to me).

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
No different from pickup trucks with outrageous stacks in the bed, but who cares ?Bajan
Not only does it look stupid on the car, it is different since it is liable to get squashed by someone parking and squashing it, which in the case of the pickups can't happen. Secondly it will deposit all kinds of soot on the rear of the car!

I think he should run double stacks through the body of the car and make it look even more ludicrous.

Last edited:

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
In the UK, your car would be illegal as it would fall into the 'dangerous condition' category. It would not pass an MOT (fitness test) and you would be prosecuted if caught driving it on a road.

Just think of a pedestrian or a child brushing past it when car has been running, the temperature would be astronomical and would cause severe burns...

That's why they hide the exhaust under the car... So you wont come into contact with hot the parts and gasses...

And trucks have shields covering the pipes that a pedestrian could come into contact with... (the same as side pipes do)

It really is a stupid, ill thought out idea.

And what purpose does it serve?

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
In the UK, your car would be illegal as it would fall into the 'dangerous condition' category. It would not pass an MOT (fitness test) and you would be prosecuted if caught driving it on a road.

Just think of a pedestrian or a child brushing past it when car has been running, the temperature would be astronomical and would cause severe burns...

That's why they hide the exhaust under the car... So you wont come into contact with hot the parts and gasses...

And trucks have shields covering the pipes that a pedestrian could come into contact with... (the same as side pipes do)

It really is a stupid, ill thought out idea.

And what purpose does it serve?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
ALright then - how is it that every lorry on the road with an upright exhaust has not been deemed as dangerous?

It's also worth noting that diesel exhaust simply does not get that hot - they are too efiicient, and are (at most times) ingest way more air than can be combusted. This keeps exhaust temps down considerably at anything less than WOT compared to s similar petrol powered vehicle.

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
ALright then - how is it that every lorry on the road with an upright exhaust has not been deemed as dangerous?

It's also worth noting that diesel exhaust simply does not get that hot - they are too efiicient, and are (at most times) ingest way more air than can be combusted. This keeps exhaust temps down considerably at anything less than WOT compared to s similar petrol powered vehicle.

if you dare to read my first post, the answer to your trucks question already there...

And on this car, there is an exhaust cap on the pipe which will prevent the escape of the hot gasses and cause a build up of heat which will cause serious burns if touched.

If you dont believe me, go touch your turbo after the engine has been running a few minutes then tell me that the diesel does not create heat...

How do you think the combustion cycle ignites the fuel?? Fairy dust??

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Sorry, but as a mechanic for the last 20 years, I can say without hesitation that diesel exhaust (on older VE and IDI units like this one and the OPs MK3) does not get hot like you are alluding to. DPF equipped vehicles with required regen? yes.

That cap is there to prevent rain intrusion while the vehicle is idle. The part past the pivot is specifically weighted so that even the slightest backpressure causes it to open. There is no pressure increase to cause a "build up of heat which will cause serious burns if touched"

Sorry but you'll need to do some research into ideal gas law - PV=NRT and you'll realize at the pressures in the exhaust stack (measured in inches of water because they are so small) it just doesn't work that way.

Opinions are not equal to facts - sorry.

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
Here we go, a willy waving contest ..

It wont matter what I write on the subject as you will have the box for the Elephant wont you...

''Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!!''

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Maybe trolling to get a rise out of people?

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Why not just place two 6" stacks through the hood. No safety issues, looks really "cool", and will really make people think of what has gone on UNDER the hood.....the "Hmmm factor" often beats out the "cool" factor any day. Although, if you're going for a sleeper look or factor......well, you'll lose it by doing that. :)

ecodean

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf, 85 jetta(sold), 03 jetta(sold)
Water boils off my exhaust tip after a good run, so yes it will get way toooooo hot to touch. But don't believe me....give it a try and video it for us.

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
Water boils off my exhaust tip after a good run, so yes it will get way toooooo hot to touch. But don't believe me....give it a try and video it for us.

Thank You EcoDean! Someone else with common sense!

And I agree with you totally, it would be great to see their videos!!

:D:D:D

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
It would be even more interesting to see it running parked in a deep puddle with that lady taking a bubble bath

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
This modification looks hideous! Why would anyone want to do this to a passenger car? It absolutely does nothing! Except make people look at you and think you are a complete idiot!