Compatible models

AdinaFloyd

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Ok, I plan on converting my Cinderjetta to a manual with my work bonus next March. I like to buy the more expensive stuff part by part before hand so that its not such a big upfront cost. I am wondering if all VW a4 transmissions are compatible. Beetle, Jetta, Passat..will any manual transmission from these three fit. I have a 2002 so I think 99.5 thru 2004 are interchangeable? Also, anyone who has done this, could you also include some of the other more pricey parts needed to accomplish my goal. Thanks for any help.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
You will want a tranny from a TDI or else the final drive (as well as the various 1-5 gear ratios) will be a much lower ratio (higher numerically) and the hiway rpm will be too high to be economical.
The proper letter code for a TDI 02J tranny escapes me at the moment, but certainly will get posted or found quickly with a search.

AdinaFloyd

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Thanks guys, great info so far. So 2000 thru 2005 jetta, beetle or passat. Clutch and flywheel, ill research and find the best for my needs. Which are y'alls recommendations and why?

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
If you're getting parts separate, some parts can come from the gasser vehicles. The clutch pedal and shifter are the same in both gas and diesel vehicles. Beetle, Jetta, and Golf, should all be interchangeable with most parts. IIRC, the hydraulic line going from the clutch pedal to the transmission is different with the Beetle, vs the Golf and Jetta.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Thanks guys, great info so far. So 2000 thru 2005 jetta, beetle or passat. Clutch and flywheel, ill research and find the best for my needs. Which are y'alls recommendations and why?
Not that Passat, totally different car, jetta, golf and beetle are mkIV platforms you're looking for.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
IMO rather than go with a 5 speed transmission, you should go straight to a 6 speed setup if you plan on keeping the car for a loooong time. I have a european 02M 6 speed in my car and that's the transmission the car should have came with off the showroom floor.

Talk to either of these vendors to set you up with a complete 6 speed swap with everything you need.
Darkside Developments
Dutch Auto Parts

AdinaFloyd

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
IMO rather than go with a 5 speed transmission, you should go straight to a 6 speed setup if you plan on keeping the car for a loooong time. I have a european 02M 6 speed in my car and that's the transmission the car should have came with off the showroom floor.
Talk to either of these vendors to set you up with a complete 6 speed swap with everything you need.
Darkside Developments
Dutch Auto Parts
Thank you for this, why is the 6 speed better. I do want to keep this car for a really long time. At 121000 miles the auto transmission in it is already giving problems.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Thank you for this, why is the 6 speed better. I do want to keep this car for a really long time. At 121000 miles the auto transmission in it is already giving problems.
Depend probably on what sort of driving (and where) you do most of. High speed interstate cruising, sure the 6 speed may be a good option. Mostly lower speed two lane rural roads and/or short trips errand running it may not be much advantage and just another cog to deal with (or seldom use). Don't know, never had a six speed other than motorcycles, but where I live/drive it wouldn't serve me much beneficial use.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
If you do a lot of highway driving (70+ MPH) then the 6 speed is really nice. It handles more power as well. The up front cost are higher though. However, the 5 speed is more than capable. The easiest way to swap is to get all the parts from a junk car or to buy a kit. This post shows everything you need. There is another post here with all the information you need, including downloadable step by step instructions and a complete parts list. If you can find a TDI 5 speed, you can get almost everything else from a gas VW (axles, shifter, pedal, etc). The 5 speed starter may be TDI specific. For the clutch/flywheel, I suggest a LUK 17050. It has everything you need for less than $200. If your budget allows, I would lay in for a set of new GKN axles. If you go used, you will likely need all boots replaced and quite likely a CV joint or two.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
To me the 6 speed is a better option if you do a fair amount of highway driving like the others mentioned. There's also the fact that it's more robust transmission if you plan on upgrading your car with larger nozzles, bigger turbo, and better flowing intake setup. The 02M has wider gears to handle the torque that our TDIs have.

To make the 02M nearly indestructible add a limited slip differential(lsd) and upgraded shift forks to prevent any future issues that can happen to an 02M, plus that lsd will make your car handle the twisties so much better in the summer and if you live where it snows, throw on some winter tires to make your car unstoppable.

To get it out of the way right away...you need to get a diesel 6 speed transmission, not a gasser transmission otherwise the gearing will be way to close together and not really be much of a benefit to you.;)

Here are a few threads to checkout from other members pondering the same thing.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=450753&highlight=02M
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=453928&highlight=02M
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=457112&highlight=02M
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=459206&highlight=02M

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
OP needs to state what kind of money is planned to offer up to this car.

I paid $3k for my blue Golf. It has an 02m (newer clutch), Malone Stage 2 tune, DLC520s, newer suspension and excellently maintained (absolutely nothing needed when I bought it, though I've put in heated seats and a Panzer plate). Might have been a once in a life time purchase, which is why I jumped on it. All said, it's not my DD: my first Golf is, and it is all tailored to me, so, while only a 5spd, is just totally awesome (the fact that my blue Golf is awesome should tell you how awesome MY Golf is!). Anyway, you really have to be at least 65mph on flat ground to run a 6spd. If you can run 70+, and lots of it, then there might not be a better combination out there. Nothing like cracking it up to 80mph in 5th and then shifting into 6th (and having that torque right there to just keep accelerating).

After my experience with my first parts car (2000 Jetta for its seats) I don't think I'd be in a hurry to fetch another one. Yanking a transmission out of one car to put in another one as you're rolling around car bodies (wouldn't think about this w/o a garage!) isn't going to be a snap: and, one has to have the space for a parts car- I have lots of room, so that wasn't an issue for me (though the parts car was on my trailer all the time- lots of parts gleaned thus situated; was going to trailer it away but instead had someone else come get it. And scrounging up parts could also be a pain, time. I'd consider just buying a complete package from Dutch Auto (look in Classified vendor section): trans in my blue Golf came from RyanP (also in Classified vendor section). I priced these out not too long ago (considering options for the daughter's 01m wagon); roughly $900 for a spd package and about $1,900 for a 6spd package- check current prices though.

Last edited:

caligta

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 6-speed manual & 2003 Golf, 6-speed manual
I'll echo some of the previous posters and say if you are going to the trouble and have the cash the 6-speed is really nice. I have one in my 2003 wagon and love it!

Searcher2

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Beetle tdi
If you want to make a day trip, Pipes UPullIt in Bossier City has a 2003 Beetle 1.9 with a 5 speed. If I get by I will look at it. You might call them if interested.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
If budget is an issue, the 02J is a lot cheaper, and if you want that taller gear for highway be aware of these 2 options:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Polo-1-...ash=item1c5203cac1:g:wOAAAOSwhQhY0~sX&vxp=mtr
or for a .658 which really gives an overdrive with a 5spd:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-5th-gea...ash=item1a2998c6f8:g:xBsAAOSwIgNXtY-7&vxp=mtr

Easy to install with the tranny out of the car, and depending on the condition of the 5th gear in a used 02J, sellable either here on the TDI forums or to the gassers who want a taller 5th.

I went for the .658, at 2000rpm I'm doing 67mph with my tire size.
Great for highway cruising at 75-80. The Masiero gears are great quality and were a perfect fit when I did my conversion. I did have a good tech do it while he fitted my Peloquin, a VERY worthwhile
addition to any gearbox.

I had an 02M in my MkVI, but I'm very happy with my reworked 02J.

Your Mileage Will Vary