transmission conversion!

ludiboris

TDI
06jetta
has any1 on here done a 06 tdi dsg transmission to a manual tdi transmission conversion? i havent found any links to it at all, so if u can point me in the right direction id appreciate it! and what are your toughts about the conversion? worth it? not worth it?

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It's been done. Although it's not fun. Better to sell yours and get a manual. I wanted to do the same thing until I saw the price tag.

ludiboris

TDI
06jetta
well kinda hard to sell mine when the transmission in it doesnt work haha. thats why im thinkin of this route. dont know weather it would be cheaper than looking for a dsg transmission or not

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
How much is a replacement Jetta 1.9 TDI ( DSG transmission) and where does one buy one at the most reasonable price ?

Last edited:

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Looks like $4284 for a fresh DSG Transmission and $550 for a flywheel .

toohighpsi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2005 Jetta, 2001 Golf
Usually these transmissions can be fixed without replacing the whole thing. What are your symptoms? Fault codes?

ludiboris

TDI
06jetta
my symptoms on it are that it does not switch gears at all, but when i put it in neutral and go down a hill and put it in D than it acts like its in 3 gear and when i come to a stop it will downshift to 1st. it will not upshift at all. the reverse on it does not work either. the codes that i got are "18115": interference in mechatronic module. p1707 mechanical malfunction intermittent. so im shoping around for a dsg transmission because ammco is charging me 5000$ to rebuild this transmission

ludiboris

TDI
06jetta

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
get on the phone and call IDparts or ecs tuning, or any of a few other places.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Order the mechtornic via a dealer. They will need your VIN number to get you the right one. Easy fix once the trans is on the bench. If it has not been done yet, replace the flywheel while you're in there. Trans controller adaptations must be done via VCDS once it is back together.

~$2K in parts and about 8-9 hours labor for the complete job. Still much less costly and much easier than a manual trans swap on that car.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd

ludiboris

TDI
06jetta
so is it just that the mechatronic unit has gone bad? and is the transmission still okay? im sorry im kinda confused on this whole thing

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
it is likely, based on experience.

now, if your car has been abused, had the wrong fluid, or other issues, there could be something else wrong. (just a guess here)

sounds like you are not up for a DIY, so the first order of business is to find a mechanic who has experience with VWs, your TDI, and the DSG in particular.

Last edited:

ludiboris

TDI
06jetta
okay thanks for the info guys. i have a person i can trust with work. i just wasnt sure weather it was worth buying a used dsg transmision and replacing it or buy the mechatronic unit and replace it and hope that the transmision is okay haha. so il have to figure out which path to go