Best scanner

DmaxjonTDI

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen
Hello guys I do most of my own work on my vehicle but mostly looking for something that will run the fuel pump when I serviced the fuel filter remove engine lights and serviced reminders i’ve heard lotta good things about the OBD 11 but don’t like the credit portion and I would like a system that I don’t have to buy a separate tablet to run or a phone this will be used on my 2014 jsw

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
If you are working on VW/Audi vehicles there is little debate that VCDS is the best tool you can own. It does require a Windows laptop (unless you pay more for a HEX-NET interface), but all future software updates are free.
The "cheapest" current interface is $199. However for a 2014 (or older) VW a used "legacy" interface cable will work also. Make sure it is genuine Ross-Tech and either a MicroCAN or a HEX+CAN cable.

ODBeleven and Carista can both do most of the things that VCDS can do, but not as easily and often with "in app purchases" of one kind or another. With VCDS, once you own the interface there are no more charges.

Have Fun!

Don

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
VCDS is the best tool for the money. More and less costly alternatives run the gamut.

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
I just wish I didn’t need a computer plus I have a Mac that makes things harder

A mac branded computer is no different than any other laptop out there like Dell or Asus, just has a different OS on it.

Apple offers Bootcamp that lets you do a dual OS on said computer, thus install true Windows OS. We have a fair number of customers who do this.

Virtual PCs, like Fusion or Parallels are not supported.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I will never understand why the whole PC thing gets people's panties in a bunch. I run VCDS on an old Asus Eee PC that I bought new... like 15 years ago... for a whole $250. You can find a used one for $50. I've replaced the battery a few times. It is has been used daily, in a shop, with dirt and fluids and all kinds of temp extremes, and it still works fine.

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
Might be best to point out the current specs required for the VCDS software:

VCDS requires a computer running Microsoft Windows (the HEX-NET can be used with VCDS-Mobile on other platforms but that use is still in beta testing). A Laptop is most convenient but a desktop PC can also be used.
We recommend a PC running Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 with at least 2GB of RAM (single-core Atom�-class processors are no longer recommended). Screen resolution of at least 800x600 is recommended.
If you are using a power supply for a laptop, it should be one specifically designed for that purpose, NOT a "universal" adapter.
Systems running Windows in a virtualized environment (for example Virtual PC on a Mac) are not supported. See also Question 1.8.
So note that VCDS does not support XP or Vista.... we do not actively prevent the software from running on XP or Vista, so people can give it a go... but at some point, the sun sets on every good dog.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Might be best to point out the current specs required for the VCDS software:

....(single-core Atom�-class processors are no longer recommended)

I can add a note here from personal experience. Any good PC with a single core Atom CPU is actually plenty fast enough for use with "legacy" RT interfaces (like HEX+CAN, MicroCAN. etc.). I used a single core Asus AspireOne PC with VCDS for years with my HEX+CAN cable and I had no problems with scanning or even logging data.
However, when I upgraded to a HEX-NET interface that old PC was not always up to the task. I could do an autoscan OK but several other functions did not work properly. I presume that the new generation of interfaces (HEX-NET and HEX-V2) transfer more data faster so they require more CPU horsepower. Therefore, I bought a cheap ($89) RCA quad-core Atom PC/tablet at Walmart. It works perfectly and if it breaks, I'll buy another one.

Have Fun!

Don

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I use a dedicated older netbook with Windows XP Pro running HEX-V2 without any problem. But this netbook is strictly for the HEX-V2 use and absolutely nothing else!