115V outlet

Laskadog

TDI
I'm a new TDI owner (DING!). I see that some TDIs come with a 115v power inverter. Does anyone know if that can be added afterwards? I didn't see any wiring harness when I pulled the little drawer thing out. My TDI is a Canadian Comfortline version.

Thanks

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Anything can be done, it's just a matter of how much effort you want to put into it. I don't know off the top of my head where you would put it in a Mk6. The Mk5 is in the back end of the center console and replaced the cup holder/change tray (depending on year).

Jason

Laskadog

TDI
Yeah, that's where it is. According to one dealer, the wiring isn't there. I could wire something I guess. In another car I just re-wired an inverter, hid it behind the dash and put a plate in the side of the dash. That might be easier and cheaper. I just like things to look stock. I sometimes work out of my car and need to charge a laptop on occasion. I also have a 11 yr old that has every electronic device known to man. I

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, I had duh! moment. You have a wagon, right? The sedan is different. Yeah, VW is not big on pre-wiring cars for stuff that is not installed.

And the wiring diagrams show the 110V plug with a wire directly to the alternator. So I'm not sure if it is a basic inverter or if its pulling the AC voltage directly from the alternator.

I would wire up something like you said you did with your last car. Less hassle and I bet you can make a real slick install. Then post up a DIY for the rest of us :)

Jason

Laskadog

TDI
Thanks SG, the module that replaces the little bin doesn't seem to be very big or equipped with a fan or anything. I think it's just a plug. You are right, I 'm better off with a custom install. I already have an inverter. I'll hide it in the trunk and run it off of the 12v plug in the trunk (which I will never use). Then I can run an extension cord under the carpet and seat. I don't need much power, just enough to charge an iPod or my laptop.

TDIColorado

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Does anyone know if there is a workaround to have constant power running to the 115V outlet in the rear of the console? I have a '13 JSW and currently it only works when the engine is running. I would like to be able to have power to the outlet without having to have the engine running. Any help is appreciated

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
@TDIcolorado - see my previous comment about the inverter being wired directly to the alternator. I'm not sure if it picks the AC before the rectifier bridge and just steps it up to 115V or just has a direct connection for lower current losses. But I don't see a way to have the OEM inverter work without the engine running.

Jason

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Wagon TDI, 2004 Golf R32
It can't take the AC before the rectifier, the voltage would be too low, about 20volts peak to peak, and the frequency would be engine speed dependent.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
I know the voltage would be too low. You would need a transformer to step the voltage up from ~20vac to ~115vac. But why else would you have multiple wires going direct to the alternator?

Now you've gone and got my curiosity going. I'm going digging this weekend to figure it out.

Jason.

Sent from my iPhone

ForkBomb

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I think this is being overthought. You can buy a 1000W 12vDC to 120vAC inverter for 50-80 bucks. Run it directly to a battery, then stash the inverter itself under your seat. Then it's just a matter of running the 120v wiring where you want it and placing it in the trim. Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/IMACP01-Grounded-Receptacle-Mounted-Convenience/dp/B00MO818IY

Run to a piece of trim with a nice cutout would look close to stock.

You could then place a remote on/off switch, and not only would you have a 10A outlet, it could be used when the car is off (Although 1000W is 83A at 100% efficiency from the battery. Would drain it quick.)

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Very true. And the stock unit is only rated something like 150 or 250 watts. For that size I think you could get one that hangs right in the power outlet.

Jason

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Or you could do something like this: 400 Watt Stealth Inverter Install
Only downside is taking apart a good chunk of the interior trim and then putting it back together. All depends on where you what to install the pieces.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I'm considering an inverter. I've read that the cheapies can shorten the life of a laptop computer since they output a modified sine wave. The pure sine wave inverters, while much more expensive, seem to be the way to go. That's the path I'll take. The Stealth Inverter Install above gives me ideas. Thanks for sharing! :)

soby

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Oh, I had duh! moment. You have a wagon, right? The sedan is different. Yeah, VW is not big on pre-wiring cars for stuff that is not installed.

And the wiring diagrams show the 110V plug with a wire directly to the alternator. So I'm not sure if it is a basic inverter or if its pulling the AC voltage directly from the alternator.

I would wire up something like you said you did with your last car. Less hassle and I bet you can make a real slick install. Then post up a DIY for the rest of us :)

Jason
Jason,
would you be able to post an image of the wiring diagram that shows the 110v plug? I'm adding this to a MKV GTI and want to weigh my options.

Thanks,
Soby

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Jason,
would you be able to post an image of the wiring diagram that shows the 110v plug? I'm adding this to a MKV GTI and want to weigh my options.
Thanks,
Soby
Here is a diagram for a 2013 Wagon. After a little scrutiny it appears to only need a signal on the "battery light" circuit (exact term eludes me). Power, ground, and tap into existing wire in dash wiring and you may have a 115V outlet.

BTW, this is only cost effective if you already have an outlet. Last I checked VW wants an arm and two legs for that outlet.

[url=http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=121776&title=115v-outlet-diagram&cat=500][/URL]

Jason

PS: click the thumbnail!

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
BTW, this is only cost effective if you already have an outlet. Last I checked VW wants an arm and two legs for that outlet.
Ah, but they are available used for those who look for them. It took quite some time for the local junkyard to come up with a price to charge me for the one I picked up. We've basically never used the cup holder in the back seat of my wife's 2006, but when I found my company car (also a 2006)had a 115V outlet in place of the cup holder, that item was added to my WANT list...

Thanks for the wiring diagram. They're rated for 150W (max), which isn't much, but it's enough to recharge the laptop, as long as it has a 2-wire power cord. (there is no ground lug on the VW inverter)

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

I'm considering an inverter. I've read that the cheapies can shorten the life of a laptop computer since they output a modified sine wave. The pure sine wave inverters, while much more expensive, seem to be the way to go. That's the path I'll take. The Stealth Inverter Install above gives me ideas. Thanks for sharing! :)
I just realized that I never followed up on this post. Here's my solution:

The inverter is (was... car is now gone) under the front passenger seat. It was a slick setup, but does not work in my GTI since the center console has rear vents taking up this space. :( I have an inverter in the GTI, but I have to use an extension cord to bring power to the passenger compartment when needed.

Scott

Last edited:

schal

TDI
2011 SportWagen
How to remove power outlet to remove console?

My 2011 Jetta SportWagen has the 115 volt power outlet. I need to remove the console, but the screws are behind the power outlet. Any suggestions as to how to remove the outlet to get to the console screws. The outlet seems to be snapped into the slot, but there are no visible fastners to get it out. Thanks, schal:confused:

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
My 2011 Jetta SportWagen has the 115 volt power outlet. I need to remove the console, but the screws are behind the power outlet. Any suggestions as to how to remove the outlet to get to the console screws. The outlet seems to be snapped into the slot, but there are no visible fastners to get it out. Thanks, schal:confused:
It's been so long since I acquired that outlet, I forgot how it came out. (and the car it was going to go in was totaled). Anyway, I went out to the garage to look. At the top above the outlet is a small detent for a flat screw driver. Push your flat screw driver with a 1/4" wide blade into that space, and pry toward the back of the car. To each side (right and left) of the actual power plug, by roughly 3/8" are metal trim grips similar to what VW used elsewhere to attach plastic trim pieces. Pry the top edge of the trim out enough with your flat screwdriver to reposition it about 3/8" to the right and left of the <||> shape of the 115V outlet. When you get your screwdriver in position, pry toward the rear of the car, and it will eventually let go. Then pry the other side loose. (yes, if you have a plastic pry tool, this is a great place to use it. If you don't, the 1/4" wide blade of a flat screw driver will work)

Once that trim piece comes off, there are two torx screws to remove to get the inverter loose from the console. :rolleyes:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Whoa!

Old post. I just relinked my images from three posts up so you can see the solution in my Mk6. I had commented that the same plan won't work in the Mk7 Golf/GTI since the ventilation runs through that area. It turns out I was wrong. I managed to squeeze a slim outlet here:

I'm still using the same 400W pure sine wave inverter from my Mk6. To be honest, I haven't used it in this position yet. I still need to move the inverter to under the front seat. But it'll be ready to go as soon as I relocate it. It's too stinking hot to work on the car for now. HAHA! See a short video that shows the tight fit HERE.

Scott

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
So the one that comes stock in our cars is pure sine wave? Good to know. Nice job with the Decora outlet, btw!

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
So the one that comes stock in our cars is pure sine wave?
I don't believe that the stock inverter was the Pure Sine Wave reference above. I believe the Pure Sine Wave reference was the 400W Wagan Tech unit he mounted under his seat in his Mk6 and previous vehicles.