Mice have decided to live in my car, apparently.

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Anybody else had this issue? I've caught two mice with glue traps under my seat, and now have a trap under each front seat and one under the pull-up section of my rear seat. I just vacuumed my car last week and now there's fresh mouse manure EVERYWHERE. I'm so pissed right now. I just broke some pieces of chewing gum apart and put them in the center of the glue traps, and hopefully they will see it as bait.

Where could they be coming in? Anybody have other ideas for catching them inside a car?

Oh yeah, and the top of my battery has mouse poop all over that too. Thinking about taping a trap down on top of that as well.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
They haven't gotten inside my vehicles yet.

Maybe they chewed through the plastic screen on the air vent in the cowl.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
out in the country where im at, field mice all around. even closed packages of ketchup or such can be a draw, paper, paper towels to make a nest and poop all over. they are very resourceful, they can get in just about any opening, rust under rear seat, in between body panels, fenders, etc.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
They can also chew through the rubber grommet around the wire harness where it passes through the firewall.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
In the air force, we used to put glue traps around the tires. No more mice!

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
If you set the good-'ol snap traps inside.....use peanut butter as bait.
Glue traps inside as well. BUT, you need to use newspaper under either trap to "control" bodily fluids with death and the dying process.

You already have a lot of fluids in the car. I would elect to use a Clorox and soap solution inside the car while wearing rubber gloves.

I would also use a soapy car wash under the hood of the car.

Here is the problem as I see it: these little bastards drop pheromones (is this spelled right?) which attracts the next wave of mice. It is a strong magnet...sort of like the 02:00 bar crowd-type.

Farm stores sell the little bags of mouse repellent stuff.....sort of like little tiny canvass-type containers of cedar or peppermint or whatever they put in there. Some people say they work...I have no idea.

I lived on a farm for many years and good ol' snap traps with peanut butter is all that worked for me. Of course, you HAVE to keep setting the traps all the time.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Best thing to do would be to check the cowl for missing body plugs or grommets. There's a lot of them in the front and it sounds like you're missing one. That's really the only place they could be getting in the car TBH.

There's a whole bunch under and around the brake master / clutch master. Also there's the cold air intlet in the rain tray and if it were broken it might let mice into the car.

Other than that there's two vents at the rear in the quarter panels but those are unlikely to be broken. You have to pull the bumper cover to check on those. If one of those fell out you might get mice in that way.

Good luck!

Steve

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
are you driving the car? I'm guessing they won't like that much... but could be wrong.
I sprinkled the stuff that smells like propane around my Karmann Ghia before I but it in winter storage... I'll see it that did anything useful soon when I get it out of hibernation.
I get them in my Westy sometimes... they make such a mess behind the cabinets.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
In the air force, we used to put glue traps around the tires. No more mice!
First off, looks like my Tapatalk App isn't doing the best at giving me topic reply notifications. lol

That's a new one. I'll have to try that.

Best thing to do would be to check the cowl for missing body plugs or grommets. There's a lot of them in the front and it sounds like you're missing one. That's really the only place they could be getting in the car TBH.

There's a whole bunch under and around the brake master / clutch master. Also there's the cold air intlet in the rain tray and if it were broken it might let mice into the car.

Other than that there's two vents at the rear in the quarter panels but those are unlikely to be broken. You have to pull the bumper cover to check on those. If one of those fell out you might get mice in that way.

Good luck!

Steve
Yes! I did find one open right behind the driver's dash. I stuffed a rag into it until I can do more.

are you driving the car? I'm guessing they won't like that much... but could be wrong.
I sprinkled the stuff that smells like propane around my Karmann Ghia before I but it in winter storage... I'll see it that did anything useful soon when I get it out of hibernation.
I get them in my Westy sometimes... they make such a mess behind the cabinets.
Yep, daily driver. Confuses me too.

I had like five sticky traps in my car, and kept finding poop everywhere. I finally had an epiphany and put a small bite of cheese on every trap. Next morning I found TWO mice on my traps. Fell for the oldest trick in the book.

As Steve also pointed out, I did find an open grommet under the hood and plugged it up.

I also taped a trap on top of my battery, because why not? It's apparently a popular spot.
This thread reminded me to check it. Unfortunately there was no mouse, but it looks like there was a struggle. Still might catch one sooner or later.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Sprinkle cayenne pepper inside the engine bay and anywhere in the car where you find mouse evidence. Mice hate that stuff. Had some chewed wires and nest building going on under the hood of a car and the pepper ended it. They left and never came back.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Sprinkle cayenne pepper inside the engine bay and anywhere in the car where you find mouse evidence. Mice hate that stuff. Had some chewed wires and nest building going on under the hood of a car and the pepper ended it. They left and never came back.
Excellent idea! I'll definitely give that a try.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk