Engine Temp Gauge - increase past 190 F

mobrien23

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
2013 Passat TDI - NMS - 275,620 miles - engine temp gauge moves past 190 but never goes up to 260 - dealer can't find any issues with cooling system - no codes for temp change -
Also - 2-3 hour drive - Red adblue light turns on saying no restart - kept driving - light goes out and code resets after 2 days - dealer has not ideas beside explore wire harnesses at $110/hour -search - not sure what to do - any ideas?
-Spent $320 on 2 shops to diagnosis problem - none found

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
How hot is it getting? The 12-14 Passat TDIs have a 220*F thermostat. Under high load conditions it's "normal" to see the temp gauge start to move. I think the highest temp we saw on ours was 226*F.

-J

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You are not alone with the DEF light deal, there seems to be a glitch in the new software and I am not sure yet they've figured it out. Many have given up and deleted the problematic system, which sucks, but...

mobrien23

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Temp gauge moves 4 hash marks past 190 on uphill climb - levels back to 190 on downhill and idle - 2 hash marks on highway drive after 30 minutes - temp has not moved past 190 in car history until 2017 - been doing it for 2 years - no shop has an answer or will to offer fix -

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'm guessing clogged coolant system components, not sure if even a DPF delete would solve that, as it'd just remove some of the heat the system needs to dissipate.

While heater cores are common replacement items, not sure if anyone had to change out radiators but I wouldn't be surprised if its clogged to some degree as well.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Yep, you'll soon find out why deletes are becoming so popular.
A delete might lower the temp load some, but it won't change the 210*F thermostat, or the defective heater cores that gunk up the system. It might help with coolant breakdown in the EGR cooler, though.

-J

mobrien23

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
DEF Light red - out of ad blue - no engine restart - Codes P204F & P20EE - Dealer advised catalytic converter (rear) is cause of Red Def light error - $865 to replace & solve problem

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
DEF Light red - out of ad blue - no engine restart - Codes P204F & P20EE - Dealer advised catalytic converter (rear) is cause of Red Def light error - $865 to replace & solve problem
Um, have you had the mod? The catalytic converter is a named covered component.

Also did the light come on at high speed in cold weather? Same happened to me but I haven't taken it in yet.

-Fred

mobrien23

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I had the mod- they did not replace the catalytic converter - mileage at 276K now - light came on at highway speed in cold weather - dealer said computer scan showed a 45mph average speed - I am asking VW to cover the cost of the catalytic converter - no luck so far

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
so you had the emissions modification per the EPA agreement, are you still within the mileage of the extended warranty?

If so keep pointing to that warranty and tell them to pound sand.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
The extended warranty post mod is 48K, and covers the cat. But I expect you may be past that.

mobrien23

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Had the mod done at 206K and now at 277K - VW said out of warranty and no good "will" will be offered

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
NY "emissions" test only tests emissions monitors. It's not a smog test. I would imagine the deleters and tuners have perfected their techniques to have all monitors "ready".

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
How's your heater performance? Does the passenger side of the car blow good, hot air?

I'm thinking you're having a problem with a plugged up cooling system.

-J