External Oil filter/heat exchanger??

75nook

TDI
1.9 TDI PD150 ARL
I've got a PD150 ARL that I'm putting in a Toyota Chinook and to make it fit I'll need to relocate the oil filter and heat exchanger. I've got a remote oil filter adapter plate from tdconversions.com but I'm struggling to find an aftermarket heat exchanger.

Is there a way to sandwich the old heat exchanger to the external oil filter adapter or an external oil heat exchanger that will work with AN fittings. If I have to ditch the heat exchanger I will, but I'd like to keep it both for cold hot. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Most VW oil coolers fit the same gasket dimensions and stud size (3/4-16) as the common PH8 oil filter. Older VW's both gas and diesel with spin on filters just sandwiched the cooler between the filter and base. You can do the same on your remote filter. You'll just need a PH8 style base and the long filter/cooler mounting stud from an older VW.

I would use the oil filter from an AHU or 1Z engine, same dimensions as a PH8 but with the proper bypass pressure for a TDI.
PD150 has a different filter mounting base than the afn/1z/ahu... to answer the op's question i have seen an oil filter relocation setup for the ALH/PD style housings... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=458574

75nook

TDI
1.9 TDI PD150 ARL
That's right, I have that exact adapter from tdconversions.com and I'm planning to move the filter off the engine. Would my PD150 heat exchanger work? I'm a little confused about how to thread it together with the remote adapter and filter. There aren't any threads on the vw cooler.

I'm wondering if something like this would work better to sandwich between the filter and external filter adapter....
Ford, OIL COOLER Assembly, 2C2Z-6A642-CC

I also remember reading that the pressure for the PD150 is higher but can't remember what it is. I'll happily take recommendations on a bigger filter with the right pressure.

Here's a pic of the adapter....
[/url]TDConversions.com oil adapter plate by David Murphy, on Flickr[/IMG]