Sunroof Draining Guide-NMS Passat

franky67

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Se
Hello there. I found many threads when I searched for sunroof draining but none of them was for NMS Passat. So,I was curious if we need to follow different steps in order to get job done?
Any service manual pdf-picture?
Hope many of us will benefit from this thread as dealer quoted +100$ for this job.
Thanks!

saucer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE
Is this preventative/maintenance or a procedure to fix a faulty sunroof?

So far so good with mine, but I'd like to keep it that way.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
look a black tube right in front of the firewall, below windshield, way, way back in the corners of the engine compartment. There are 2, one for driver and passenger side drains. You have to remove the black plastic cover below the windshield to see and gain access. Fish a weedwacker line down from the sunroof, or up from the drain in the corner of the engine bay, and floss. Or do a test to see if water is draining. If so, no need to floss.

Hotelevator

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I am currently dealing with the same problem on the drivers side, I fed some trimmer line down the tube and it stops where the a-pillar meets the fender so I know I have a clog just trying to figure out how to clear the clog cause the trimmer line isn’t working.

franky67

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Se
Is this preventative/maintenance or a procedure to fix a faulty sunroof?

So far so good with mine, but I'd like to keep it that way.
Well, dealer recommended it with 40k mile service and told me that it is better to drain it or check if everything is fine.

franky67

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Se
look a black tube right in front of the firewall, below windshield, way, way back in the corners of the engine compartment. There are 2, one for driver and passenger side drains. You have to remove the black plastic cover below the windshield to see and gain access. Fish a weedwacker line down from the sunroof, or up from the drain in the corner of the engine bay, and floss. Or do a test to see if water is draining. If so, no need to floss.
I will try this when the weather gets better,thanks for your advice!

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I chased a wet floor issue on my 2012. I dont know anything about a black tube right in front of the firewall, below windshield, way, way back in the corners of the engine compartment.

I poured water down the sunroof drain and it flowed fine out of a big rectangular opening. My suspicion was leaking firewall caulked joints. I sprayed a garden hose on the inner wheelwell area and the inner floor bulk head filled with water. I drilled the holes in the floor and problem solved.

Wet floor is no fun.