Clanking noise

AnericanProud

TDI
2005.5 VW Jetta
My 2005.5 Jetta isn't making much power right now it's got an EGR delete kit and tune it's also throwing the code PO299 (Underboost) when I get to and just above 2000 RPMs there is a loud clanking noise coming from the bay and I can't get my RPMs any higher although I can get the RPMs higher by holding in the clutch and having no load on the engine it will pass 2000 RPMs the clanking noise still occurs. I am pretty new to TDIs and didn't know if this was a normal sound or not and any help on what to test before I go and replace my turbo to save a little money would be helpful.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Hmm... No, doesn't sound normal. I'd check the camshaft. Pull the valve cover and check for wear. If not, could also need zip tie mod... Search that on this forum, or could look on my posts and you'll see my thread.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

JETaah

TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Auto trans or manual?

Is the noise a consistent every-revolution hit noise or somewhat hit-and-miss...random? Thinking the typical worn dual mass flywheel noise.

If you have consistent low power with a tune (or not a tune), your turbo actuator may not hold vacuum anymore. Look to see if the turbo actuator rod is fully drawn downward at idle. If you don't know quite what to look for have someone start the car while you are looking at the actuator rod to see if it moves once the car is started.

If you have access to a MityVac hand vacuum pump, try pulling the vacuum hose, isolating it, and manually actuate it. If you can not draw the rod with the MityVac, you have found one of your problems.

Last edited:

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
My TDI like yours started clanking one day. It turned out to be a result of excessive engine vibration due to an imbalance condition caused by a DMF failure. I suspect this is the cause of your noise. Another issue I had was a leak in the vacuum reservoir that is integral to the cylinder head cover. Get a Mightyvac from Harbor freight and see if your reservoir leaks. Also, check all your vacuum lines and components. Another vacuum leak I found was a crack in the big line going to the brake assist mechanism.

The turbos in these cars are pretty sturdy, IMHO.

AnericanProud

TDI
2005.5 VW Jetta
I was checking my camshaft and one of the exhaust lobes was very warn down. Do you think that it could've made the noise as the exhaust was getting pushed back to the intake valve? And I could only hear it at high RPMs

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I was checking my camshaft and one of the exhaust lobes was very warn down. Do you think that it could've made the noise as the exhaust was getting pushed back to the intake valve? And I could only hear it at high RPMs
That would cause your problem.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

JETaah

TDI

Yeah, that will mess things up.

Are there grooves in the injector lobes on the cam?

AnericanProud

TDI
2005.5 VW Jetta
I have no idea about the injector lobes but I do know this is the original cam and the car has 230k on it which by the way some people say it should've never lasted this long.

JETaah

TDI
I have no idea about the injector lobes but I do know this is the original cam and the car has 230k on it which by the way some people say it should've never lasted this long.
It didn't.

AnericanProud

TDI
2005.5 VW Jetta
I was looking at cams to buy and was looking at stage 2 and stage 3 cams the stage 3 is only like $40 more but I was wondering if this would require extra tunning or different parts to make it compatible. Or if it was even worth that much, if it had that much of a power boost

Thank you