Immo 3 Cluster Tachometer Scaling

Lanp900

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Golf 2001-Bert
I converted an immo 3 cluster from gasoline tachometer scaling to diesel, and am curious about the eeprom editing to amend the RPM scaling. The cluster is a VDO p/n 1J0920927 V03. Does anyone happen to have the EEPROM dump for this part number cluster with diesel scaling or the ability to direct me to the correct locations and values?
Also, has the lighted needle modification ever been accomplished on the 927 clusters?
Forgive me if I have overlooked this information somewhere here or on other forums. I have found a great deal about the 926, but much less on the 927 clusters which appear to have significant differences.
Thanks in advance!

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I converted an immo 3 cluster from gasoline tachometer scaling to diesel, and am curious about the eeprom editing to amend the RPM scaling. The cluster is a VDO p/n 1J0920927 V03. Does anyone happen to have the EEPROM dump for this part number cluster with diesel scaling or the ability to direct me to the correct locations and values?
Also, has the lighted needle modification ever been accomplished on the 927 clusters?
Forgive me if I have overlooked this information somewhere here or on other forums. I have found a great deal about the 926, but much less on the 927 clusters which appear to have significant differences.
Thanks in advance!
That cluster has 503 software level and it has to be add manually. There is no replacement software for that cluster.
Needles are located at [FONT=&quot]21F[/FONT][FONT=&quot] from 70 to 79. Also I believe that cluster does not have LED for GP and it has to be add.

PM me for more info.

[/FONT]

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
If its 503, they are a real pain in the butt because the cluster will throw a DEF code as soon as you touch the needle scaling. Doing recode in VCDS will not get rid of it either like the 501.

I spent nearly 4 months of on and off trying getting mine to work properly with no DEF and proper scaling.

Lanp900

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Golf 2001-Bert
It is a 503 software cluster, so I guess I have some "fun" on my hands. I'll try to see what I can do, maybe I can dredge up some more information with the bits you both have given me.

I was able to solve the missing glow plug light by soldering an LED to the board.

Thanks for the lighted needle bit and the tips!

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
It is a 503 software cluster, so I guess I have some "fun" on my hands. I'll try to see what I can do, maybe I can dredge up some more information with the bits you both have given me.

I was able to solve the missing glow plug light by soldering an LED to the board.

Thanks for the lighted needle bit and the tips!
You will also need add resistor to make that GP working.
Playing with Eeprom , you can brick your cluster very easy.

Lanp900

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Golf 2001-Bert
I was able to add the cluster LED's simply by following the printed circuit and through the judicious use of a multimeter to find continuity. Once you get the hang of it, it isn't on overly difficult thing to do. I used resistors from my parts clusters. To find the correct resistance, I used a system of guess and check (my oft-used mathematical solution finder :D). I dimmed some of the LED's that I found annoying at night using the same method of finding the certain stock resistor and swapping it out for another.

I think I'll keep fiddling with the EEPROM to find the correct addresses and values. I foresee it taking a bit longer than 4 months. ;) First task- finding the tachometer needle scaling addresses.

Maybe there are some risks, but hey, we're all learning! I appreciate the help.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
180ohm is the correct resistance. Also there is a byte to change that allows you to test the glow plug light with VCDS. I forgot where it is located now.

I used a 503 TDI dump to combine with the 503 gasser MFA to make a 503 TDI MFA dump.

Lanp900

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Golf 2001-Bert
Just curious, why would the glow plug light need to be tested with VCDS?

I wonder if the 926 tdi clusters have the same RPM scaling as the 927's? I have been able to find the 926 tdi dumps, but no 927's. Combine the two, and we're set? I also have a feeling that it'll be a bit more difficult than that. But then there's the issue with the checksum, I reckon. Do you happen to have any 503 tdi dumps you would be willing to share or know where to look for these?

Thanks!

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Just curious, why would the glow plug light need to be tested with VCDS?

I wonder if the 926 tdi clusters have the same RPM scaling as the 927's? I have been able to find the 926 tdi dumps, but no 927's. Combine the two, and we're set? I also have a feeling that it'll be a bit more difficult than that. But then there's the issue with the checksum, I reckon. Do you happen to have any 503 tdi dumps you would be willing to share or know where to look for these?

Thanks!
There is no 927 (503 software level) Jetta/Golf TDI eeprom dump. It has be custom.

Lanp900

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Golf 2001-Bert
There is no 927 (503 software level) Jetta/Golf TDI eeprom dump. It has be custom.
Oh, okay. Now reading back, I'm sure you said that before, I just did not comprehend. Now to find those addresses...

Again, regards!

Lanp900

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Golf 2001-Bert
Success! (Solution)

I seem to have had success with the scaling issue.

I added the tachometer scaling from a 1J0 920 946 C tdi cluster, but I bet many of the newer tdi clusters will have the same scaling numbers. Addresses 240-25A contained the scaling data I used.

To figure out the addresses where I was to input the numbers on my new cluster, I had to look at gasser EEPROM dumps and compare them to my new gasser cluster to find similarities between the data. Once I found a matching section, I was fairly certain I had found the portion of the dump that contained the needle scaling of interest.

I then input the tdi cluster numbers into my 1J0 920 927 dump at the addresses I deemed to contain the tachometer scaling: 278-292. I wrote the EEPROM to the cluster, and was met with no errors, only a correct RPM gauge.:)

Also, for the 503 software clusters, (Which I believe are all the 927 clusters? Please correct me if I'm wrong.) the lighted needles can be enabled in address 21F, which can be changed from 70 to 79, or something else depending on desired effect as documented in other lighted needle threads. (Thanks jetta ,97.)

Cheers!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I know this is an old thread, but any idea where I can find those 946 cluster dumps? I picked up a 927 cluster from the junkyard the other day, and the LCD is gorgeous looking. So the plan is to swap it into my Golf, and take the MFA from my Golf into my project car (LCD is not as nice and bright).

My MFA clusters are all 926, so I'm wondering if the needle scaling data on those is at the same addresses, from 240-25A? I'm going to assume that my 927 will be the same as yours - 278-292.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I would assume it should be the same. Try it and see. In my experience, they are tough to damage by altering EEPROM, though I'm sure it's possible.

Try this source for EEPROM dumps:
https://web.archive.org/web/20100914201223/http://vagdashcom.de:80/html/tachodumps.htm
I actually did download one dump from there, after I posted my response. But that was the only listing I found.

I also read somewhere else that needle sweep should be possible on this cluster. I don't know if that would work AND let me account for the RPM adjustment. Did you change the fascia in your cluster as well? I also have a parts cluster I picked up (part of a $99 wheelbarrow sale last Saturday) that I can use for an LED for the glow plug indicator.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Well, I did get needle sweep working. I had an odd error, where the radiator fans would turn on (with ignition on, but the motor not running). The cluster also shows def. Of course, I kept my original eeprom dump, so I tried again with baby steps - modifying the coolant temp curve first, then needle scaling in another file, and then the TDI tachometer change in the third, to see where I get the def error, which I understand is from a checksum. I'd be bummed if I couldn't use needle scaling, as it is kinda cool.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I ended up getting my cluster working. My only complaint right now is that the fuel gauge seems a little lower than it should be. I tried values from my 926C cluster, but that didn't work, so I just reflashed my previous EEPROM, powercycled the car and was back to normal.

Does anyone know anything about the values for the buzzer sound frequency and duration? That was in one of the links above.

Also, once I solder in an LED and resistor for both the glowplug indicator and the rear fog, will that get rid of the glow plug error that tells warns me of emissions workshop? Or do I need to enable a bit somewhere?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Did you calibrate the needles with VCDS using the cluster output test?
I did not, and didn't know there was such an option. Is this something under module 17 in VCDS?

Also, to get rid of the engine CEL for the glow plug light, is it as simple as soldering in an LED and resistor, or does one need to enable something in the EEPROM, which I'm obviously more than comfortable doing now? Thankfully, I have spare clusters I can play with to practice the soldering. The one that got the tachometer faceplate was "free" (got it in a wheelbarrow of stuff for $99 at the last junkyard sale, specifically for this purpose).

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I did not, and didn't know there was such an option. Is this something under module 17 in VCDS?
Take a look at the .pdf I posted here:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4103072&postcount=1

Calibration instructions are in the section titled "Run the Cluster Output Tests".
It'll take a few tries to get them exactly right. Just make sure to always rotate the needles counterclockwise when removing, installing or adjusting them.

Not sure whether the CEL will go away just by adding the missing components. These clusters also have a bit that needs to be set in order to enable the glow plug LED. Check memory address 0x21C (or 0x1EA for a 501 cluster) and make sure the high bit (0x80) is set.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Interesting PDF. I'll see if changing that bit changes things.

Now I just need to figure out how to change my dim LCDs. My 927 cluster ended up being dim during a warm day, though not as dim as my 926C clusters. :-/