VW Golf Crankshaft sensor problems

SoCATDI

TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS Wagon, 2003 Golf TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI sadly totaled by teen driver, 2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI
Hello again! I replaced the crankshaft sensor 6 months +- ago. All was well and I started to enjoy the car again. Alas, yesterday the problem came back. The engine will stall at any speed. I coast to a stop, the engine will crank,but not start and the rpm gauge registers 0. Then the engine will start, rpm gauge reads the engine rpm as it should, the engine will then run for 1 minute or maybe 3 minutes. But it will not run for very long. It then stalls and repeats itself. I immediately thought perhaps a rat had eaten a wire or something. I can find no evidence of a "rat under the hood"! Can any one suggest what should be my next step. I almost forgot, the code thrown is PO321 Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit Range/Performance. This is an ALH engine.

Thanks

SoCATDI now in Texas.
2003 golf - 380,000+ miles
2005 passat - 200,00+miles
1996 ford f350- 150000+miles

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
From http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16705/P0321/000801
Possible Symptoms

• Engine shuts off
  • Engine doesn't start
  • Speedometer inoperative
  • Glow Plug Indicator Lamp (K29) flashes
Possible Causes

• Engine Speed Sensor (G28) loose
  • Engine Speed Sensor (G28) faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
Special Notes

• The Engine Speed Sensor (G28) is also used as a reference sensor for the crankshaft position and correlates with the Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 1 (G40) and Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163).
    • When an engine will not start due to mechanical (spark/fuel/compression/timing) related issues it is not uncommon to set a false G28 fault codes due to extended cranking with a no-start condition.
  • When found in a VW Golf/Jetta (1J/9M) or Audi A3 (8L) with 1.9l TDI-PD (AXR), check TPI 2007067 which explains issues with electro magnetic interference. A modification to the wiring will fix this problem, extensive details can be found in the named TPI. Even though this TPI was originally released for VW Golf/Jetta (1J/9M), a customer of ours came across the same issue on an Audi A3 (8L).